New Discussion юеВ

Re: Legato Storage Manager !

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ivan Azuara
Regular Advisor

Legato Storage Manager !

Hi !

My dba installed the Oracle 8i manager database on HPUX 11.0 /64 bits environment. After a reboot on my server, today appear the next messages in the console:

Feb 24 03:33:05 s_inb_15 syslog: Legato Storage Manager media: (waiting) backup
to pool 'Default' waiting for 1 writable backup tape(s)
Feb 24 03:33:05 s_inb_15 syslog: Legato Storage Manager media: (waiting) backup
Feb 24 03:48:06 s_inb_15 syslog: Legato Storage Manager media: (critical) backup
Feb 24 03:48:06 s_inb_15 syslog: Legato Storage Manager media: (critical) backup

We was checking the information about the Legato Storage Manager, and found us one paper that mention "Removing an Existing Legato Storage Manager Installation" procedure.

This procedure is some superficial and doesn??t check when i try to aply it, step by step.

Somebody have experience or know about the correct uninstall procedure of the Legato Storage Manager ?.

Thank??s in advance !
"Enjoy the life .."
7 REPLIES 7
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

When you install Oracle the Legato software is installed like a default backup tool, you can shutdown the legato daemon by:
# nsr_shutdown
and answer "Yes"

then message disapear until next box reboot. To remove definitively the Legato Storage tool is a hard task that recomend you contact with an Oracle Support Metalink Analyst.

Other definive ways are:
1)Go in to runInstaller under your Oracle bin directory, choose remove packages and select Legato Storage Manager and remove it.
2)Remove the start and stop script in /sbin/rc2.d/S900networker and /sbin/rc0.d/K200networker

Rgds.
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

My experience with Legato has not been very positive, but it's getting better. If you plan to do tape backups using RMAN, you'd best keep Legato. I believe that there is a stub library that you can use in place of legato, but I'm not certain of that.

The message that you are receiving is for a bootstrap backup that Legato likes to make every day @ 3:33 am (default).

Despite being a pain in various portions of the anatomy, Legato does have some redeming qualities. The main one being that it manages your tapes and keeps you from inadvertly writing over a tape you meant to keep.
It does this with expiration policies and so forth.

In addition to metalink, you can get information about legato from legato.com. However, Legato won't provide you much if any phone help. To the best of my recollection, there is an FAQ and you can submit questions online.

Play with nwadmin on /opt/networker/bin. You may decide that legato isn't that bad. If you want to change the bootstrap backup, play around I think it's in the client configuration.

If you really, really want to get rid of legato (remember RMAN backups directly to tape may have issues if you do), swremove will get rid of it.

-Good Luck
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible
Marc Ahrendt
Super Advisor

1) do you actually use the "Default" pool?
it may be that your new "savegroup" or client is going there by default and that may not be what you want
2) if you are using the "Default" pool then do you actually have available tape/volume space to write to in it?

...the Legato Storage Manager may not be the problem here as much as your configuration

hola
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Type:
nsr_shutdown
at your shell prompt. This usually happens after a reboot. I get the same message.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

if you are not using Legato Storage Manager then you can do a

#/sbin/init.d/networker stop

If you want this to make it permanent just re-name the script S900networker in the /sbin/rc2.d directory.

Thanks
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

part and parcel of oracle installed.

/sbin/init.d/networker stop
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Ryan Green
Valued Contributor

Do a swlist and look for the Legato s/w. IIRC, the Oracle install does a swinstall in the middle of everything. This is the Legato s/w. I always do a swremove on it as we have backup utilities.

ryan