108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Memory windows question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerry Tully
Frequent Advisor

Memory windows question

I recently installed memory windows on an HPUX 11.0 system running Oracle 32 bit. When logging in and starting the databases as the user Oracle, everything is fine. When logged in as any other user, which we do to start one of the 4 instances, we get HPUX error 22, we get 'unable to attach shared memory segment'. What do I need to do? Thanks
Any Ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Re: Memory windows question

Hi Gerry,

Did you go with putting a seperate entry for each instance in the /etc/service.window file? Also, what is the value of the kernel tunable max_mem_window?

A user (process) can either create a unique window using one of the ids defined in services.window or can join an existing window. Sounds like you are trying to create a new instance using the id of a currently running window.

Regards,

James.
Gerry Tully
Frequent Advisor

Jim, Thanks for the response. Yes, I did put the 4 instances in the services.window file. I changed the max_mem_window param to 6. Just wondering why as Oracle things are ok because none of the entries in the services.window file are called Oracle?
Any Ideas?
Steven Gillard_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

You may need to run your sqlplus session as follows:

$ setmemwindow -i sqlplus ...

Regards,
Steve
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Hi Gerry,

HPUX errno 22 is EINVAL, or invalid argument. Doing a "man shmget" and looking at the EINVAL codes shows a few entries but it comes down to:

1)Key already exists
2)Size of segment is greater than system imposed maximum

If you are starting an instance in a unique window, ensure the instance SGA is no greater than 1GB or shmmax, whatever is less.

Regards,

James.
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Hi Gerry,

Maybe I didn't read the first post right...you are starting three of the instances as Oracle and one as another user? You can start this as Oracle but are just having problems as the other user?

In this case, you could probably work out what is wrong by checking the error code for the particular call, shmget/shmat etc, but you could always start this outside a window instead? As the other three are in windows I suspect your virtual address space issues are already resolved so this may be a quick solution.

Regards,

James.
Gerry Tully
Frequent Advisor

I think we have the issue resolved using a combination of the info you guys supplied. Thanks much.
Any Ideas?