New Discussion юеВ

Microsoft Access with Oracle database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nagarathinam
Advisor

Microsoft Access with Oracle database

Hi Experts,
Can I use Microsoft Access as a client to Oracle Databse in HP-UX. If so, How it can be done?
Any help is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Naga
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Microsoft Access with Oracle database

Naga,

With ODBC:

http://www.orafaq.com/faqodbc.htm

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

And perl

DBI-1.24
DBD-ODBC
DBD-Oracle

I've done something similar, were I ran perl/DBD-ODBC on M$ platform and used ODBC to connect to both M$ Access database and Unify database on HP-UX. Worked like a charm
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
bio_leon_1
Frequent Advisor

Install a oracle client first,so all compent you need are installed.

You must have SQLNet installed and a listener running in the database server. On the client side you got to install the SQLNet client and the ODBC driver for Oracle that comes with Oracle client software.

After that you have to define your Oracle database in the client's tnsnames.ora and create a ODBC link. Then you can link an oracle table in your access database and select, update, insert or delete data.

Emilio Maneiro.
Sevilla, Spain.
Victor Geere
Frequent Advisor
Solution

The above replies still apply.

In Access go about creating a new table, but when given the option select "Link Table". Select the ODBC source and Oracle table of your choice.

But...

If you want to link an Oracle database to Access for the same reason I did (to elegantly access an Oracle database running in some dark corner of your organisation) you might want to consider creating a linked server in MS SQL. This allows you to write transact SQL queries in query analyser directly against an Oracle database. If this is an option I'll send you the HowTo.
I thought that I was because I had thought.