108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mount options for Oracle filesystems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fedon Kadifeli
Super Advisor

Mount options for Oracle filesystems

We have several databases runinning on HP-UX 11.00 N-class and V-class machines. Oracle versions are 8.0.5 and 8i. We are using filesystems to hold Oracle data files (no raw disks). Filesystems are created on XP256 disk system's LUNs (some are striped, some are not). Generally the size of the filesystems are around 7GB each with VxFS version 3 (we do not have Online JFS). So, for example, we have more than 40 filesystems (mounted as /oracle01 ... /oracle40) for our main production database. My two questions are:

(1) To improve performance, what mount options shall I use?

(2) Will there be a gain in I/O performance when we move Oracle to other types of filesystems (like "Online JFS" or "Veritas Database Edition for Oracle on HP-UX") and with which options
5 REPLIES 5
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/devresource/Docs/TechPapers/UXPerfCookBook.pdf

... might help ...
Mount options are discussed in there (amongst other things).

Regards,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Some points to note:

1) For performance, the OS filesystem block size should be the same as the Oracle block size.

2) You should also use OS striping to improve performance. The stripe size should consider the db_file_multiblock_read_count.

Your stripe size should be the same or a multiple of

db_file_multiblock_read_count x db_block_size

3) Do not stripe the redo log filesystems as they are only sequentially written.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the tuning parameters you need/want for Oracle on vxfs are only available if you have OnlineJFS.
Both OnlineJFS, and certainly Veritas filesystems for Oracle will/can improve performance, but they come with a price tag. Raw devices however are free, and produce maximum performance, but will require a little more effort on administration.

good luck,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Praveen Bezawada
Respected Contributor

Hi
one more imp things is to place index data files and table data files on the separate disks.
Use glance to find the IO activity by filesystem and try moving files from high IO disk to disk with lower IO rate.
Also for mounting the filesystem you may use mincache=direct.

Hope this helps
...BPK...
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

Hi
Online JFS certainly will give performance improvement. Use JFS3.3

Most of the file system mount options are related to Online JFS.

Following is the link explaining different mount options for JFS file systems.

http://us-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=d79c426517e3b6dc68/screen=ckiSearchResults?searchString=KBAN00000258&mode=id

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.