4114 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving Oracle 10gR2 Flashback Logfiles (*.flb) on the Fly

Jov
Honored Contributor

Moving Oracle 10gR2 Flashback Logfiles (*.flb) on the Fly

Hi DBAs,

I was forced to enable archive log and use flash backup, but at the time the destination was on local disk instead of the SAN share.

Due to this everytime oracle starts it updates one of the *.flb file within the flash_recovery_area.

Thus (Oracle is configured as package on SG) when flipping the Oracle package to the other node, it fails to start properly due to not having the latest *.flb file (basically out-of-sync, until you copy the *flb file across).

I updated the db parameter 'db_recovery_file_dest' to point to diskspace on the SAN share once I realised this, but the instance was still using the flashback files on the local disk (until it rolls to new flashback logs - this took some time).

What I want to know is how to move it on demand, similar to moving other log files, or dbs.

When I tried alter database rename file '' to ''

it returned:
ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files
ORA-06000: ....

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Jov
7 REPLIES 7
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Jov,

I'm not sure about what you can do with flashback logs but maybe it works like redo logs:

- shutdown the database;
- move the logs;
- startup mount;
- and Finaly, alter database rename file...;

But, to be sure check the manual or Metalink about it...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response, but the steps you listed were followed and it gave the error I mentioned in my original post.

Regards
Jov
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

What about moving the files to the target destination and creating a symbolic link to the SAN share?

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

Maybe you need to "alter database flashback off" before renaming the flashback logs...

Eric
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Jov,

If you are using ASM I recomend Metalink Note 438580.1.

Eric
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The original *.flb files were on local disk and we had to move them onto the SAN given Oracle was in a SG Cluster Package.

I enabled Flashback Snapshots becauses the app guys were applying their solution and it killing the Oracle DB Instance almost everytime, thus flashback was a good time saver instead of re-creating the db instance.

At the time I was not aware that flasback recovery (FR) allocation was on local disk, thus the initial snapshots were saved on the local disk (keep in mind these ware Oracle Managed Files).

After realising the FR space was on local disk I updated the parameters to point to the SAN VG, but that didn't change existing Flashback Snapshot files

The only was way to delete the snapshots then recreate these snapshots after the FR points to the SAN.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway as they were tried before posting.

Jov
Jov
Honored Contributor

Found the solution as detailed in previous post.