7474 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving Oracle 7.3.4 from HP-UX 11.0 32-bit to HP-UX 11.0 64-bit environment

Fredric Vadegard
Occasional Contributor

Moving Oracle 7.3.4 from HP-UX 11.0 32-bit to HP-UX 11.0 64-bit environment

Hi,

Do anybody knew/have experience if it works ok to move (backup-restore) a Oracle 7.3.4 db from a HP-UX 11.0 32-bit OS to a 64-bit HP-UX 11.0 environment?
The 32-bit OS is installed on a D-class server and the 64-bit on a A500 server.

Thanks!
//Fredric
7 REPLIES 7
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving Oracle 7.3.4 from HP-UX 11.0 32-bit to HP-UX 11.0 64-bit environment

Hi,

I think, the best way is export->import, especially if you don't change Oracle version.
I upgraded couple of computers from HPUX11.00 to HPUX11.11 with the same Oracle 8.1.7.4 Standard Edition without any Oracle operation, just copyinf of configuration files to the new ORACLE_HOME ( the same name) and startup in the new environment. You can gtry the second way, if it does not work, build a new db and import data into it.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom Fredric,

You fail to mention what version of Oracle is on the A500 server.

I'd be shocked if it was 7.3.4, whichis years maybe a decade out of support.

The procedure depends heavily on what version of the db you migrate too.

There is a step where the database's 32 bit word size needs to be converted to 64 bit.

The procedures are available at http://metalink.oracle.com

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Like SEP asks... what is the target Oracle versions.
Any chance to jump to the latests and greates (10G R2) and at least a 64-bit aware version.

I would encourage you to use export/import and re-create teh tabelspaces with the 'modern' attributes like local space management instead of the dictionary managed space 7.3.4 used. It will also give you a good opportunity to clean up file naming to work with the new environment

Victor wrote>>
I think, the best way is export->import, especially if you don't change Oracle version.

I beg to differ. If you really go to a different box with the same Oracle version (which i hope is not the case here), then you can simply us and OS file copy (backup/restore, dump, cpio, dd, whatever works for you).
If you _do_ change Oracle version then exp->imp quickly becomes the preferred tool, allthough often Oracle has the 'convert' scripts to make te transistion between specifc versions ( $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/U0.....sql )

Hth,
Hein.
Fredric Vadegard
Occasional Contributor

The target Oracle version is the same, Oracle 7.3.4 32-bit. I know that this version is not supported (since years ago).

The reason we keep the oracle version is that we will clone this outdated application/db to a second server. One part of the company has been sold and both companies must have their own server. The data will be "washed" after it has been cloned/copied to the new server.

The old (1999) server runs 32-bit OS, but we will not install it on the other server(A500).

Hope I made it clearly.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Frederic,

Certifications Notes from Metalink for HP-UX:

7.3.4 is supported under Extended Maintenance Support only.

I think it will work but you may have issues...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Given the circumstances i woudl keep it as simple as possible and just copy the files around even if that might take a little longer.

How will you get the data over? Tape? Disk? Network?

You probably want to compress the intermediate file.
(b2zip, gunzip,... too bad hpux tar does not support -z)
Google for best network copy commands

You have to be very carefull with the rigtth defintions for $ORACLE_HOME and the control files, which in turn will point to the DB files.
You can either on the receiving side - recreate teh same mountpoints, create softlinks to make it look like the mount points are there, use SVRMGR rename commands to point to actual DB file locations, or use CREATE CONTROLFILE. On the original system you can do your backup control file to trace.

You will want a report of the various DB files using a procedure similar to the one below, to doublecheck what needs to be copied and how big it is.

Good luck,
Hein.

column status format a9
column file format a40
column id format 999
column type format a10

set lines 80
set pages 9999
set heading off
set FEEDBACK off
select 'Redo' "type", l.group# "Id", l.status, l.bytes/(1024*1024) "MB",
MEMBER "File" from v$logfile f, v$log l where l.group# = f.group#
union
select tablespace_name "type", FILE_ID "Id", status, bytes/(1024*1024) "MB",
file_name "File" from dba_data_files
union
select 'Temp' "type", FILE# "Id", status, bytes/(1024*1024) "MB",
name "File" from v$tempfile
union
select 'Control' "type", rownum "Id", status, 0 "MB",
name "File" from v$controlfile
order by 1,2
/
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Fredric,

You wanted to migrate the same version of oracle 7.3.4 from HP-UX 11.0 (32-bit) to HP-UX 11.0 (64-bit).

Then the simplest procedure will be to take an export of the oracle dababase 7.3.4 the source server.

Install oracle 7.3.4 on the target server HP-UX 11.0 (64-bit). Create an empty database with the same name. Then import into this database the exported dump file. This should be simple enough.
Few years ago I had done this. Exported Oracle 7.3.4 from HP-UX 10.20 (32-bit) and imported in to Oracle 8.1.7 (32-bit)on HP-UX 11.11 (64-bit).

Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying