4088 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving a data file from a node to RAC shared (raw) volume

rana786
Regular Advisor

Moving a data file from a node to RAC shared (raw) volume

Hi all,

-If I have a data files (database data files) created on a normal file system seen only by node1 ,Can I move or copy these files from this file system to be in a logical volume under /dev/vg_billing_data/ (the shared volume that handle the raw devices to be seen by both nodes).
-If yes, kindly I need the procedure to do that.

-If I dropped a raw device from my data base, will this drop the related logical volume?

-In Solaris you can add raw device without deactivate the current volume group, export the map and import on the other node ,why in HP we canтАЩt ,Is there any other way to add raw devices on HP without DB shutdown and deactivating volume group, map export ,map import тАжтАжтАжтАж..??

Walker_dhk
5 REPLIES 5
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes you can do that but it will require some DBA's suggestions on how to do it. In my opinion you will have to drop one datafile and reallocate a new one on the desired path.

Dropping a raw device from the database will only stop access to that file, the LVOL will still exist.

In HP as well you can do all these functions online without deactivating the VG.

lvcreate does not require deactivation of the VG (The newly device created is used as a raw device)

vgexport wiht -p option does not actually export or deactivate the VG but does other functions requires and mentioned on commandline.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
rana786
Regular Advisor

Hi Devender,
-If I have a data files (database data files) created on a normal file system seen only by node1 ,Can I move or copy these files from this file system to be in a logical volume under /dev/vg_billing_data/ (the shared volume that handle the raw devices to be seen by both nodes).
-If yes, kindly I need the procedure to do that.
You said:
"Yes, you can do that but it will require some DBA's suggestions on how to do it. In my opinion you will have to drop one datafile and reallocate a new one on the desired path."

Here, the source datafile is formated with the vxfs filesystem and mounted to one node (node1) which is a member of a RAC cluster. The shared volume (/dev/vg_billing_data) for the cluster is not formated it is raw (not formated). My query was, can I move or copy datafile from node1 that is formated with the vxfs filesystem to be a part of logical volume under /dev/vg_billing_data/ (the raw shared volume) and to be seen by both nodes.

If yes then how?

Best regards,
Rana
Walker_dhk
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In annyway you can not copy a file from the filesystem to a raw device. In turn you will have to drop the formatted file and reallocate database space on the raw device.

As I mentioned earlier I am not a DBA and some DBA will better suggest about achiving it.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> In annyway you can not copy a file from the filesystem to a raw device. In turn you will have to drop the formatted file and reallocate database space on the raw device.

I beg to differ. It's just not standard operating practice and normally is more trouble than it's worth, notably think support.
If anything were to go wrong, then one will always wonder whether it was due to moving data behind oracle back.
The binary contents of a db file vs raw device is exaclty the same. So you can just dd your file onto a raw device, replace the file with a softlink to the raw device and be happy, or at least test.
Next you may want to SQL> ALTER DATABASE ... RENAME ...
For the dd you normally need an oseek.

Try on a 1MB file dummy tablespace/file first!

Good luck,
Hein,

rana786
Regular Advisor

Its ok.
Walker_dhk