New Discussion юеВ

Multiple Oracle-databases and ServiceGuard - best practice

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Multiple Oracle-databases and ServiceGuard - best practice

Hi Gurus!

As I might move a single HP-UX-server with ~30 Oracle-databases (most of them pretty small) to a two-node ServiceGuard-cluster (it will NOT include RAC), I have a small question to best practice:

Should I create a few, like four or whatever, clusterpackages include numerous Oracle-intances, or would it be a better idea to create one package per instance? Pro's and con's please.

Thanks for your time.
Danny Petterson
3 REPLIES 3
Solution

Re: Multiple Oracle-databases and ServiceGuard - best practice

Danny,

I would try and think of this in terms of "service dependencies" - if a group of databases go together to make up a single service, then by all means combine them into a single package - however if they are completely unrelated I don't want them to be in the same package.

As for the challenges of operating many packages - well obviously you'll need a lot more IP addresses first off (do you have them available in your subnet?), and you need to use seperate volume groups for each package, so that might be a lot more disk (depending on the granularity you can present LUNs at). You'll need to think carefully about what fails over to where and in what order (assuming you are on 11iv2 or 11iv3 you can use the latest version of Serviceguard which allows you to assign priorities to your packages).

30 seperate packages though could mean 30 seperate installs of Oracle - that sounds painful so you might want to look at operating Oracle with a set of local binaries installed on each node - that makes configuring SG/Oracle a little more complex, as you need to make sure you consider things such as the location of oratab and listener configurations - speaking of listeners I always liked to operate with a seperate listener process per oracle package - although that does generally mean using a lot of different ports - not just 1521 - which again can mean more configuration work.

So lots to think about, but interesting stuff - you'll have a lot of fun and learn a lot doing this...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Hi Duncan!

Thanks a lot for your post, great points!!

Greetings
Danny
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Hi again!

Hm - Im well on the way of planning this cluster, and making the hardware ready.

For now I go for four packages, running ca. 8 Oracle-instances each - however, I do miss some documentation for how to configure the Enterprise Cluster Master Toolkit for more than one Oracle-instance per cluster-package - is it possible (with local binaries for each node)? Or should I go for another approach?`

Thanks for your help
Greetings
Danny