1753905 Members
9945 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NIS password change issues

Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

NIS password change issues

Yesterday it was brought to my attention that my users can no longer change their passwords. This is obviously a "bad thing"(tm).

When I try to change my password on a workstation (normal user account) I get this:

mezz@daisy:~$ passwd
Changing password for mezz on NIS server
Old NIS password:
New password:
Re-enter new password:
pam_chauthtok: System error
mezz@daisy:~$

if I use yppasswd the output is the same except the pam line is not there.

Even though `yppasswd` isn't throwing an error, it still isn't working. I've done everything I can think of short of rebooting the server. Perhaps if the labs clear out sometime today I will try that too.

help!

-paul
21 REPLIES 21
Jeff Machols
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NIS password change issues

couple things, first make sure there are no "commented" fields in the passwd file. You can't do this

user1:dldld:101:101
#user2:dkldsjf:201:101

also, check permissions of /etc/NIS/passwd and make sure its -rw-r--r--

Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

I sent a copy of this by mistake to the DB category, I am re-posting this to the SA category too. (at least it can be argued that it is a DB issue being an NIS problem :)

sorry guys.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Create a /etc/shells file. Use "man shells" for more info. you should have all the shells with their absolute pathnames specified in this file.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

Jeff:

Nothing commented out (just checked to be sure)
passwd was set to 444 so I 644'd it and the problem remains.

Sanjay:

It is all set up like that (I use "/usr/local/bin/bash" for my users)

Thanks for the try guys.. any other ideas?

-paul
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Here is another try,

http://us-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=5a2f36d315945a4a74/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000024613880

I would say the 2nd option is more probable,

quote //

2. Make sure /etc/ptmp does not exist. (This is a lockfile used by rpc.yppasswdd BEFORE it will do a ypmake, if it exists already no ypmake will occur.)

//unquote

Hope this helps.

Regds
Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

Shiju: I did some google searches yesterday when this issue first came to my attention and I did get that page back as a hit.

I'm not very pam savvy. I have no real idea how it works. The error I'm getting isn't listed or even mentioned on that page (or any other pages I can find).

I wish I got something like "PAM_TRY_AGAIN" so I would at least know the error was pam.conf. Of course I get the errors that don't get any google hits. :)

hmmm, that page says that pam_chauthtok "performs a preliminary check before attempting to update passwords".

Does anyone know what these checks are? Perhaps I have some sort of system service tied down too tight so its failing a check. (but then according to the www page it would reply with try_again and not a system error)

::sigh::
-paul
Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

Sanjay:

/etc/ptmp does not exist. Real bummer too because that would be a great solution :)

You did make me think of one interesting thing. I use `make` and not `ypmake` to manually push my map changes out. If memory serves the previous sysadmin modified make so it would push out auto.direct along with auto.master. If I try `ypmake` after an auto.direct change it does not push that map (or even acknowlege it). I have no idea if this is even relevent to my problem, but the makes came up so I decided it is worth a shot to mention.

-paul
Jeff Machols
Esteemed Contributor

one of the checks is to make sure the login is in wtmp, thats why you can't do a passwd from remsh, because it doesn't put an entry in wtmp. You have to be able to do who and see your terminal (/dev/ttyX) for that login