1753448 Members
5115 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIS password change issues

Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

NIS password change issues

Yesterday it was brought to my attention that my users can no longer change their passwords. This is obviously a "bad thing"(tm).

When I try to change my password on a workstation (normal user account) I get this:

mezz@daisy:~$ passwd
Changing password for mezz on NIS server
Old NIS password:
New password:
Re-enter new password:
pam_chauthtok: System error
mezz@daisy:~$

if I use yppasswd the output is the same except the pam line is not there.

Even though `yppasswd` isn't throwing an error, it still isn't working. I've done everything I can think of short of rebooting the server. Perhaps if the labs clear out sometime today I will try that too.

help!

-paul
21 REPLIES 21
Jeff Machols
Esteemed Contributor

couple things, first make sure there are no "commented" fields in the passwd file. You can't do this

user1:dldld:101:101
#user2:dkldsjf:201:101

also, check permissions of /etc/NIS/passwd and make sure its -rw-r--r--

Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

I sent a copy of this by mistake to the DB category, I am re-posting this to the SA category too. (at least it can be argued that it is a DB issue being an NIS problem :)

sorry guys.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Create a /etc/shells file. Use "man shells" for more info. you should have all the shells with their absolute pathnames specified in this file.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

Jeff:

Nothing commented out (just checked to be sure)
passwd was set to 444 so I 644'd it and the problem remains.

Sanjay:

It is all set up like that (I use "/usr/local/bin/bash" for my users)

Thanks for the try guys.. any other ideas?

-paul
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Here is another try,

http://us-support.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=5a2f36d315945a4a74/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000024613880

I would say the 2nd option is more probable,

quote //

2. Make sure /etc/ptmp does not exist. (This is a lockfile used by rpc.yppasswdd BEFORE it will do a ypmake, if it exists already no ypmake will occur.)

//unquote

Hope this helps.

Regds
Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

Shiju: I did some google searches yesterday when this issue first came to my attention and I did get that page back as a hit.

I'm not very pam savvy. I have no real idea how it works. The error I'm getting isn't listed or even mentioned on that page (or any other pages I can find).

I wish I got something like "PAM_TRY_AGAIN" so I would at least know the error was pam.conf. Of course I get the errors that don't get any google hits. :)

hmmm, that page says that pam_chauthtok "performs a preliminary check before attempting to update passwords".

Does anyone know what these checks are? Perhaps I have some sort of system service tied down too tight so its failing a check. (but then according to the www page it would reply with try_again and not a system error)

::sigh::
-paul
Paul Mezzanini
Advisor

Sanjay:

/etc/ptmp does not exist. Real bummer too because that would be a great solution :)

You did make me think of one interesting thing. I use `make` and not `ypmake` to manually push my map changes out. If memory serves the previous sysadmin modified make so it would push out auto.direct along with auto.master. If I try `ypmake` after an auto.direct change it does not push that map (or even acknowlege it). I have no idea if this is even relevent to my problem, but the makes came up so I decided it is worth a shot to mention.

-paul
Jeff Machols
Esteemed Contributor

one of the checks is to make sure the login is in wtmp, thats why you can't do a passwd from remsh, because it doesn't put an entry in wtmp. You have to be able to do who and see your terminal (/dev/ttyX) for that login