108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need informed opinion...

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Diaz
Occasional Advisor

Need informed opinion...

A question for those of you with database server experience.
We are currently running Sybase ASE 11.9.2 on HP-UX 11 and we're considering either upgrading to 12.5 or migrating to Oracle.
The question is; Have any of you done this, and would you do it again.
I'm not really convinced either way and have not yet begun the research process. (THIS is the beginning ;>] )
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
At the end of the game the king and the pawn go in the same box
4 REPLIES 4
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

David

If Sysbase is doing the job why change?

Both path have a cost implication as well as an extensive testing phase.

A migration will not be without pitfalls and there will be considerable more of them in taking the migration path as opposed to the upgrade.

Question Why upgrade?
If it works well leave it alone.

Are there any real benefits to either the upgrade or going to Oracle.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello David,

in addition to Paula's comments:
- Oracle (today) needs about 2GB for the product alone, your data NOT included
- Oracle seems to store your data NOT in a very, hmm, dense format - prepare to need about twice the amount of diskspace (compared to your real data alone)
- Oracle LOVES huge amounts of RAM, I would not even consider running an Oracle-instance with less then 300MB of RAM for Oracle... perhap more the direction of 1GB or more...

I have not used Sybase since the days of system 10, and don't remember too much, but it was working not bad, so why change? The SQL-dialect are not completely compatible!

The license fees might be quite different, too (depending on your rabate).

Do not get me wrong - I do like Oracle RDBMS quite a lot, for being stable, robust, fast, and I am well trained to it; but that will not neccessarily make it the best choice for you ;-)

Regards,
Wodisc
David Diaz
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for your responses.
The reasoning behind the changes is that Sybase ASE 11.9.2 has been out of support since March 31, 2002. So we were looking at those two options.
I don't see any good reason to switch to Oracle over Sybase. Sybase has been fine and just because a product is advertised more heavily than another, doesn't make it better (and you know I'm not talking just Oracle here ;>] ).
Your responses have reinforced my resolve to stay with what we have, albeit in upgraded form!
At the end of the game the king and the pawn go in the same box
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

David

Further to my comments:-

Be very careful and test fully on the upgrade path.

I am at present doing an upgrade test on Universe and we are haveing many problems.

So lots of testing on non mission critical servers.

Good luck

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon