4856 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Need oracle script(s) to generate a database

Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

/u01/oradata/ and /u02/oradata/ is used when creating tablespaces that will be used for containing user data.
You also place the Oracle software here under /u01/app/oracle/product/9.0.1
The pfile init.ora goes in /u01/app/oracle/admin//pfile/init.ora with a link to /u01/app/oracle/product/9.0.1/dbs/init.ora

/u03/oradata/ is used when creating tablespaces that will be used for table indexes.
/u04 and /u06 is used for the mirrored redologs /member 1 on /u04 and member 2 in /u06
/u05 is used for creating the tablespaces that will contaion the rollback segments.

It is important to keep these parts of Oracle apart to aviod I/O botlenecks. During a DML to the database Oracle updates the rollbacksegment with read consistancy info so, then changes are made in the database buffer and written in the redolog and last the data in the table itself is changed. This means that data, rollback and redo disk aktivity must be separated.

As to you quiestion os noarchivelogs, its simply a matter of your backup policy. A development or test database do not need archiving, as you don't mind loosing data if some datafiles get lost (disk failure ..)

If you want to run with archiving its important to set the log_archive_dest to a disk different than the other Oracle volumes.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Ooops

Seems like we've overtaken Diemanh's thread.. I wasn't awake I think...

Deanna, lets continue in your own posting.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!