1748214 Members
3197 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need ppd for HP-UX for Oracle Reports 6i

Ben Spencer
Occasional Advisor

Need ppd for HP-UX for Oracle Reports 6i

Anyone know where to download ppd files for HP-UX for their own printers, such as the lj4000tn?

I need ppd files for Oracle Reports 6i before I can proceed with an Oracle TAR regarding inability to print PS with this printer from reports.
6 REPLIES 6
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

In HP-UX, ppd files are handled by the HP JetDirect products.

The installer for 11.x is located here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Resource.jsp?locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=27349&prodTypeId=18972
or
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/nonjsnav/hpuxandsol28679.html
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

PPD files are normally used with DOS programs which had no connection with the Windows printing subsystem. There is no such concept with the HP-UX spooling system. While JetDirect software will connect to the HP JetDirect cards, the printer scripts provide no translation facility for languages such as Postscript. If the LJ4000tn has the Postscript module installed, then it should work OK (the printer tries to auto-sense the content of the print job and switches to Postscript mode if the data looks like Postscript).

Otherwise, the various printer model scripts perform simple tasks like duplex or landscape changes for plain ASCII files. Did the Oracle note specifically mention PPD files for HP-UX?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ben Spencer
Occasional Advisor

However, we have JetDirect installed on this box with the correct drivers for the printer for HP-UX. What is a problem is that Oracle Reports 6i requres a ppd file in the reports driver directory. There are no ppd files available in /opt/hpnpl on the HP-UX box.

On the other hand, if they just have a differnet name, then that would work too.
Ben Spencer
Occasional Advisor

The person handling the TAR is adamant that I need an lj4000tn specific ppd. I cannot expect more support help from Oracle if I continue using the Oracle supplied generic lj4 or lj4si drivers.

I think I've found the answer, however:

sourceforge.hp.com had ppd files for Linux, and if you unpack the driver .exe for the lj[458]000 printers, you actually find a ppd file that is identical to the LX version.

I believe this is what I need to move forward.

Thanks!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

In this case, the PPD file has nothing to do with HP-UX...the Oracle code apparently reads these for instructions on how to format the print data. A PPD has nothing to do with the connection (ie, JetDirect or parallel or serial) so they would not be found in the /opt/hpnpl directory.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ben Spencer
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the UX OS is out of the loop. However, the drivers are for an HP product, and no one else seems to be buildling them.

However, sourceforge.hp.com does have them for LX, and they seem to work.