3891 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Network bottelneck

Sreekanth Makam
Occasional Advisor

Network bottelneck

Hi folks,
Iam running around 100 users(through loadrunner). My application is informix 4gl. There are many system call. Allways informix is like that only...

Now glanceplus is showing 100% network bottelneck. I kept my loadrunner machine in same lan where ny server is there. Allmost it is directly connected.

What are all the resons may be for this network bottelneck.

With out glance plus..That is through command prompt ..how to check this bottelneck..

Please explain me parameters that i want to see regarding network..by that i can guess what may be the wrong..

Please help out this netwrok issue.

*** problem is a problem untill u feel that is a problem ***

*** Let us share the knowledge ***
2 REPLIES 2
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: Network bottelneck

glance can occasionally be a bit, well, paranoid, about network bottlenecks - especially older versions of glance.

you might look at the KB/s (in glance) for your NIC and see how close it is to the theoretical maximum - you can also check netstat -p tcp to look for retransmissions and out-of-order segments and lanadmin for link-level packet loss - those can be indications of a congested network.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Re: Network bottelneck

Hi Sreekanth,

Unless you customized your alarmdef file, the network warnings you see in glance are not generally applicable to 100MB interfaces if not if you have Gigabit interfaces.

Look at /var/opt/perf/alarmdef file and change the settings to suit to your interfaces.

As mentioned, you can extract the numbers corresponding to each interface using 'extract' utility. Create a file called "net.in" with the following entries

DATE
TIME
BYNETIF_NAME
BYNETIF_NET_SPEED
BYNETIF_IN_BYTE_RATE
BYNETIF_OUT_BYTE_RATE

Run 'extract' and choose 'guide'. Take defaults except when it prompts for template file, type net.in and proceed. Once you are done, you should get a file called xfrdNETIF.asc file. You can import it to excel and look at the numbers.

Or if you Perfview installed, use 'pv' to view the data online.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try