Operating System - HP-UX
1754017 Members
7965 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: O8i installation needs graphical enviromental?

O8i installation needs graphical enviromental?

My company has already got a L1000, HP -UX 11.0
We need to install Oracle 8i and migrate our production database. My server L1000 DOESN?t have any graphical enviromental (i.e. X-Windows, Motif) as far as my server administrator knows). How can I install O8i whitout this feature?

Thanks in advance.
DBA DLRT
5 REPLIES 5
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Are you saying the Oracle install states you need a X enviroment or are you unfamiliar with command line options for the install as opposed to using the swinstall GUI etc ?
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Yes, you will need a GUI terminal or an emmulator to load Oracle 8i. 8i does not support character mode. If you have another server with a GUI console, you could telnet to the new server and load 8i.
If I had only read the instructions first??
Ed Ulfers
Frequent Advisor

If you have any unit with Motif capabilities, you can run the Oracle install on the L-class after exporting the display to the unit with Motif. Here is the sequence I have used in the past:

1A) Log onto the Motif capable unit.
1B) Enable remote screens using "xhost +"
2A) Log onto the L-class unit when ready for the Oracle install.
2B) Send your Motif screens to the other unit using "export DISPLAY=IP:0.0" (replace IP with the Motif unit hostname or IP address)
2C) Initiate the Oracle install on the L-class unit
1C) Perform all needed actions with the Motif unit.

If you don't have a unit with Motif, you could alway setup a Linux unit or but software with X-windows capabilities.
The L-class does not need the X-Server only the X-client that is inherent in most system. You can test this with some simple command like xclock.

Good Luck, from someone who has done this often.
Put a smile on your users face, offer them a kiss (Hershey's Kiss).
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you have an Xterminal, an Xwindow workstation, or a PC running an emulator such as Reflection/X or Hummingbird's eXceed, just log into the HP-UX system, set your $DISPLAY value and run the program: /usr/bin/X11/hpterm

SAM, swinstall, xterm, dtterm, etc are all graphical tools and part of a standard HP-UX install. You don't need a window manager like CDE in order to run the Oracle apps, just an Xwindow-capable device to display the results.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Diana,

X-Windows is not really needed as a terminal...
Get VNC from the internet, install the server part on
your HP-UX box and the "vncviewer" on a PC or another
UN*X box, then export your DISPLAY variable pointing
to that VNC session, adn install Oracle8!
HTH,
Wodisch
PS: VNC is OpenSource - free!