108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ODBC Slowness after reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
OneNeck UNIXSA
Frequent Advisor

ODBC Slowness after reboot

I am running HP-UX 11.0 on and L3000 with 6GB of Memory, and after a reboot, the data pull via a DataDirect SequeLink 4.5 client to the SequeLink 4.5 server to our Informix Dynamic Server 7.31.FD1 is extremely slow. I had installed OmniBack 4.1 during this time, so don't know if it consumed system resources that were becoming scarce. I have poked around but am finding nothing solid on the root cause of the ODBC slowness.. Thank You in Advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: ODBC Slowness after reboot

Thomas,

A quick check to see if Omniback has any affect would be to shut it down:
/sbin/init.d/omni stop

Then see if things improve. You can restart omniback with/sbin/init.d/omni start.

HTH,
Pete

Pete
OneNeck UNIXSA
Frequent Advisor

I had already tried taking OmniBack out of the picture, didn't help any. :(
I plan on taking down the system on the weekend and bring up only the Informix Database and see how the ODBC acts. Does anyone know the kernel parameters that may affect ODBC performance?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

My next thought would be to check your Informix engine. Do you need to update statistics? Any indexes get dropped? I'm not familiar with SequeLink but it sounds like it must run SQL against the engine.

HTH,
Pete

Pete
OneNeck UNIXSA
Frequent Advisor

We do and update stats on the database everyday. The sqllink is a connection to view into the database. Since Baan (Ugh) is on a level-one driver we have a hash column that is proprietary, hence when our ODBC connections try to get data they have to do a sequential scan of the tables. Not a big deal as this is how it was before the reboot/install of OmniBack. However the execution times now are ugly (15 min, now 2.5 hours). Everything is pointing to something on the database server, as the runs are done from different nodes to the DB server. umm... :) (*I love a good mystery.)
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You're probably aware that there are several Informix related kernel parameters but none that I know of that are OBDC specific. I can give you a list if you want.

Does normal database access seem OK? By normal I mean local queries, etc.

Pete

Pete
OneNeck UNIXSA
Frequent Advisor

Yes, Normal queries seem fine, both through the Baan application and dbaccess. If you have the kernel parms that would be great.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

See attached.

This is for 7.31.FC4 on 11.0 but is pretty similar to prior versions:

Pete