1753829 Members
8919 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ORA-12203 for a local connection to db but only for root account

Ekkehard Schulz
Occasional Advisor

ORA-12203 for a local connection to db but only for root account

I watched a very strange behaviour of svrmgrl when calling from 'one' root account.

As usual ORACLE_HOME is set, ORACLE_SID is set, TWO_TASK is not set. With this scenario you get a local database connection from any Unix account. But on one of our customer system it doesn't work from the root account (for any other accounts it works as expected). From root I get the ORA-12203 TNS: unable to connect to destination. I have checked the whole environment of root for additional variables, nothing. I unset all environment variables, except ORACLE_HOME. Normally if ORACLE_SID is not set you got the message ORA-12547 TNS: lost contact, but from this root account we get still ORA-12203. Only if I set TWO_TASK in the root account it works via sqlnet.
It seems that svrmgrl does some test with the bequeath adapter. But I have no idea what is diffent with the root account on this machine.
There are no additional files in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin influencing the net8 configuration.
We have used tusc to trace the system calls, but it gave us no idea.
It little bit funny. When we start svrmgrl from a normal user account it works as already mentioned. Now we run tusc svrmgrl from this user account. And ... we got the same error message.
O.k. I know that tusc is owned by root and the setuid bit is set.

Any idea what happened with this root account is welcome. Thank you, Ekkehard

P.S. The local connection is needed by root when configuring the OmniBack - Oracle8 integration.
3 REPLIES 3

Ekkehard,

Have you checked you don't have another tnsnames.ora in /etc that only root can read?

Thx

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

there is definitely a problem with either your SID or service which is wrong in the tnsnames entry.

Alternatively, can you try to issue:
for example,
svrmgrl 'system/manager@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=mydb.myserver.mu)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(ORACLE_SID=MYDB)))'

hope this helps!
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Ekkehard Schulz
Occasional Advisor

Hi Duncan, there is no other tnsnames.ora.

Hi Yogeeraj, it is not a sqlnet problem.

The connection string is like (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleXXX)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')(DETACH=NO))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=XXX)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=gepard)(USER=root)))) which causes the 12203 as root and is successful for other accounts.