108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ORACLE 8.0.6 new installation problem : as root, "./root.sh" command canceled

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bokoko
Advisor

ORACLE 8.0.6 new installation problem : as root, "./root.sh" command canceled

I'm running HP9000 B.11.00 32bits and I uninstalled Oracle 8.0.6 and 7.3.4 in order to refresh the Environment. Would you please tell me why the "./root.sh" command is not completed successfully.
This what I've proceeded :
===============================================
# cd $ORACLE_HOME/orainst
# ./root.sh

Running Oracle8 root.sh script...

The following environment variables are set as:

ORACLE_OWNER= oracle
ORACLE_HOME= /cyborg/app/oracle/product/806
ORACLE_SID= ora123
Are these settings correct (Y/N)? [Y]: Y

Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory [/usr/lbin]: /usr/local/bin

Checking for "oracle" user id...

Leaving common section of Oracle8 root.sh.

Enter the UNIX group which has DBA permissions for the databases in this ORACLE_HOME.
Enter ORACLE_DBAGROUP [dba]: dba

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please delete any log and trace files previously created by the Oracle Enterprise Manager Intelligent Agent. These files may be found in the directories you use for storing other Net8 log and trace files. If such files exist, the OEM IA may not restart.

#
===============================================

I could not find those logs and trace files.

What can I do?
9 REPLIES 9
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Re: ORACLE 8.0.6 new installation problem : as root, "./root.sh" command canceled

Hi,
Not pretty sure.

But is there already a user called orcle or a group dba which exists already?

Or Are u running NIS and thought there is no entry in the local password file but these entries exist in the NIS maps?

Regards
Balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Bokoko
Advisor

Re: ORACLE 8.0.6 new installation problem : as root, "./root.sh" command canceled

To Confirm, it is thru that I have an oracle who is part of the group ":dba".

I don't think so that this can give me problem.
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

The files in question is *.q files and snmp_rw.ora, snmp_rw.ora and services.ora
found in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin or
$ORACLE_HOME/network/agent

Just make sure no Agent is running (ps -ef |grep dbsnmp) and delete this files.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Bokoko
Advisor

Sorry but I can not see those files "snmp_rw.ora", "services.ora", "*.q"

What I have are the followings :

/orainst/snmp.map
./orainst/snmp.us
./orainst/snmp.dei
common partial.prd rootadd.orc rootadd.sh snmp.ins snmp.map snmp.us snmp.vrf
./network/install/snmp/snmp.map
./network/install/snmp/snmp.vrf
./network/install/snmp/snmp.ins
./network/install/snmp/snmp.us
./network/snmp/peer/snmpd.conf
./network/agent/config/oapps.ora

================================

What can I do?
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

i have never installed 8.0.6, but when installing 8.1.7 there is a pretty simmilar message.

As far as i understood this, this is only a note/warning and no error message.

If you don't have any old log or trace files, everything is fine.

Or do you have any problems starting Oracle?

CU

Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Bokoko
Advisor

Hi stephen,

thank you for your reply.

As far as I know, can I startup the instance or is there anything more to do after installing the Oracle Sotware?

What I know is when you install the Oracle, as another user (except "root", you must connect as "root" and from the mount_point directory, change the directory to "orainst" and execute the following command : ./root.sh

Waiting for your confirmation, before I escalated this message.

Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Never install Oracle as root user. Install as oracle in group dba.
During install oracle need to create /etc/oratab file and from 8i create oraInventory references and set owner:group.
To accomplish this you'll be prompted to run the root.sh script in another window, before you continue the Installation task.

As for the Warning about Agent files, you most likely never have used the agent (specially if Oracle is new on this machine) and this is therefore safe to ignore.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

i agree with Andreas. If you don't find any trace or log files you are save to continue and finish the installation.

I also agree that you should install Oracle as user oracle with the group set to dba.

Hope this helps

Regards Stefan

No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Don Spare
Regular Advisor

While both versions of your Oracle install are not supported by Oracle, it might be better if you would contact them at metalink.oracle.com or phone them to open a TAR. They generally assist with problems unless the only way to solve it is to upgrade.