108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ORACLE - File System Full

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

Make sure auto extend is turned off on all of your dbf files.

I would make another logical volume filesystem and move your application dbf files to the new location. With 9i, I have successfully on a live production database during low activity, taken dbf files offline, copied to new filesystem. renamed them and put them back on line and removed the old dbf file. (I used fuser to make sure the old one was no longer being used by oracle)

My recommendation for you is to take the system down and use the documented methods
If you are able to take the system down. You should be able to extend the logical volume. and not do any oracle stuff.

Your note suggests that you have old data. After you get past your space crisis. Have your application people look at the database schemas and purge old records. Also look for tables that are not being used and have them dropped. I have a App owner who copies large tables to a backup name and forgets about them. Do Not drop the dbf files they are your file cabinets not your data.

Sound like you have lots of maintaince to do.
After you get your data purged. I would schedule downtime and export your data. delete your table spaces and recreate it with better sized dbfs. I also would set the datafiles to not extend past a particular size. In the future, I would manually add dbf files as table space gets low. That way I could put the files in filesystem with free space. This also might allow time to consider balancing I/O by putting certian files on a particular disks.

Good Luck
There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
zmyle
Occasional Advisor

first, the archive logs have to go.
if still not enough space, transfer to a more abundant storage space.