4427 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ORACLE_HOME more directories

Rob van Buiten
Regular Advisor

ORACLE_HOME more directories

Hi,

We installed Oracle and the default for ORACLE_home=/oracle.

We also want to install the Oracle Enterprise Manager in a special filemount called /OEM. But during install at the end by making the repository DB it refers to the ORACLE_home=/oracle.

Is it possible to set ORACLE_HOME to /oracle and /OEM ???

thanks,
Ron
6 REPLIES 6
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Ron,

ORACLE_HOME=/app/soracle/product/8.1.7
ORACLE_HOME=/app/poracle/product/8.1.6

I use multiple oracle versions and users on our system, ORACLE_HOME are set in $HOME/.profile of the oracle users.

Hope this helps,
Robert-Jan

Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Ron,

You can have as many ORACLE_HOMEs and Oracle version as you need. In order to implement this, print
export ORACLE_HOME=WHATEVER-YOU-NEED
before each Oracle installation.
In order to use differnt version in applications, you have to set appropriate ORACLE_HOME, include ORACLE_HOME/bin into PATH and ORACLE_HOME/lib into SHLIB_PATH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi ron,

you can export the ORACLE_HOME each time you have to setup the environment variables for each cases.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

No! You must have only 1 ORACLE_HOME for each user! If you want to use several version, Y'll need several unix users!!

I think that during OEM installation, you're only asked to give the current user's ORACLE_HOME, you're not asked to change it.
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Stephen Badgett
Regular Advisor

Hi Ron,

I would think you could write a small script to set (export) the ORACLE_HOME environment variable if a user needs to use a different version without having to login as a new user. The script will have to be sourced i.e. ---> . oracle_v_1

Steve
Not as is, is now
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Another way - have 2 different oracle id's with their own ORACLE_HOME:

have an oracle userid and an oem userid.

Make them belong to same group - say dba

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.