New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ora-27102: Out of memory-Error bringing up Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi RAC,

Mem windows will not help IF they have only one DB. Would help for multiple DBs only. Then they could have seperate SGAs in seperate windows. But with only one SGA & 32-bit Oracle they have that 1.75Gb ceiling. And the reason you'll probably be limited to 1.6GB is because one also has to use some of this space for shared libs & memory mapped objects. Can't ALL go to shared memory....

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

For Jeff,

What I understand through my readings on memory windows is that the shmmax limit of 1.7 could be overcome with memory windows.

What if I set memory windows for a DB and any other program.

This other program may not need that much high shmmax?

With this I just want to create two mem windows.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi RAC,

Because you can only point a single SGA at a single mem window. ALL mem windows will be subject to the 32-bit addressing limit.
Therefore mem windows only help when one runs multiple Oracle instances - then they each can have their own window & each would have a seperate 1.75GB ceiling.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
DIPAK KUMAR ROY
Frequent Advisor

Using "memory window" will be helpfull if you are using multiple database servers.

To overcome the 1.7GB limit use "chatr" command to the dataserver executable.

Thanks
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

You could use "chatr -M" on the oracle binary to change it to a SHMEM_MAGIC executable. This will allow you to access up to 2.75 GB of RAM. However, I've seen various responses from Oracle as to whether or not this method is supported.

Take a look at the chatr man page and the section called, "chatr and MAGIC Numbers"
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...