Operating System - HP-UX
1753577 Members
6305 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 10g kernel parameters on 11i v1 (rp4440)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

Oracle 10g kernel parameters on 11i v1 (rp4440)

I've noticed the the Oracle recommended forumlas are VERY different that the HP recommended formulas (Mission Critical OE). Is it smart to strictly follow Oracle?

Also, this 10g installation will need to co-exist with a previous 9i environment.

Oracle formulas are listed here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b19068/pre_install.htm#i1011402
2 REPLIES 2
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

The HP recommendation are most generic, realy just to have a reasonable starting point for many applications, but not for one specific application.

I'm thinking you are about to deploy the box for speicific application, not for a 'generic' application (which includes program development, encryption, databases,...)

The Oracle recommendations have the advantage that the know a little more... there will be Oracle running!

Thus you should follow the Oracle recommendations as the absolute minimum.

"Verify that the kernel parameters shown in the following table are set either to the formula shown, or to values greater than or equal to the recommended value shown"

If you don't, then Oracle would be in its right to refuse support.

Is the targetted application a 'standard' 3rd party proviced product, or is it home-grown?

Because Oracle's recommendations are still very 'generic' you want to follow 3rd party applications recommendations (SAP, Peoplesoft,..) first and foremost!

For home-grown, many of us like to distingish between OLTP-like versus Datawarehousing application, and tune accordingly. Also TP-monitor style (Tuxedo based apps, SAP) versus 1-user-1-connection paradigms significantly influence the tuning.

So my recommendation would be to try and characterize your target Oracle usage and find a tuning whitepaper just for that purpose (3rd party apps vendor). Next doublecheck the minimums with the Oracle values and use the highest. When a big doubt exist, quesiton that specific value, first with the application folks, then with Oracle and finally, if still not clear with HPUX support.

And for further help here, why let us guess?! Which param(s) has you concerned? What style of Oracle usage? Quick characterization (nummber of connects, files, expected SGA size,...)

And uh... if this all sounds like a lot of hassle... this is why they call it 'work' not play. :-)

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

No, your recommendations are spot on. That sounds like an approprate approach. Thank you!!!