1748223 Members
4870 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 10g on Unix 11.23 installation error

Rowli
Advisor

Oracle 10g on Unix 11.23 installation error

I am trying to install Oracle 10g2 on HP-UX 11.23 64bit PA_RISC system and am having problems.
here is the latest error I am getting
rt0: RROR couldn't open usr/lib/dld.sl errno:000000002$
any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated
16 REPLIES 16
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Here's a couple things maybe you could check.

Does root's .profile have it's SHLIB_PATH stmt=/usr/lib (and whatever else you need) in there and properly exported?

Have you checked your SHLIB_PATH file? Does it show /usr/lib in there?

Just a thought,
Rita
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

and just to double check ....

You are using the PA_RISC version of 10g2 install media right and have installed the required patches mentioned in the 10g2 install guide ?
Rowli
Advisor

Yes to both your questions.
S. Ney
Trusted Contributor

What part of the install process are you getting the error?

is that the error from your OraInstall_XXX.err file?

lastly anything unusual in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log?

Rowli
Advisor

this error occurs when we run the runInstaller from the Oracle 10g2 installation.

There is nothing odd in the syslog that points to this problem
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Rowli, many times (a lot more than you'd think) there are patches for the installers themselves from Oracle. Anyways, in most cases you need to copy the installers to hard drives, and apply patches to them before attempting to startup the installer itself.

How in the heck disks go out to the public wherein the installer itself doesn't even run without being patched first has always mystified me. If I ever did that in one of my programming jobs in the past, I'm pretty sure my boss would have let me go on the spot.

Also, many times, its helpful to start off your installer with a whole bunch of ORACLE environment variables defined before you even kick off the installer. ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, SHLIB_PATH, etc. often help things along and provide defaults that make a bit more sense for running the installation tools. You may even try locating that dld.sl on the distribution disk and adding that to the SHLIB_PATH before you start (if you can). It's been a while, but I can't remember if you could always see the dld.sl,etc. necessary for the running of the install on the disk before you start up the main installer. I believe you can, however.

But, my best advice from all of the above is definitely go look for patches to the installer itself.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>rt0: RROR couldn't open usr/lib/dld.sl errno:000000002$

Is this your exact error message? There seem to be lots of chars missing.

The message says that crt0 couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl and got ENOENT (2).

So either you have deleted that one file and you need to reinstall the whole OS, or your permissions on / /usr/ /usr/lib don't allow R&X permissions:
$ ll -d / /usr /usr/lib
drwxr-xr-x root root //
dr-xr-xr-x bin bin /usr/
dr-xr-xr-x bin bin /usr/lib/
Rowli
Advisor

This is the exact error message I receive. The OS will not allow run properly without that dld.sl file and the permissions are set properly.
There are actually 2 dld.sl files. One is a 32bit and one is a 67 bit. This references the 32 bit even though we are trying to install on a 64 bit machine.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>One is a 32bit and one is a 64 bit. This references the 32 bit even though we are trying to install on a 64 bit machine.

You are running the 32 bit dld.sl because you are running a 32 bit application. It has nothing directly to do with the kernel, since it is always 64 bit on 11.23 and 11.31.

If you can run other 32 bit executable, /usr/bin/ksh, then your Oracle installer is corrupted.