Operating System - HP-UX
1753721 Members
5000 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 6i forms very slow over Leased Line...How to??

Ashraf_1
Frequent Advisor

Oracle 6i forms very slow over Leased Line...How to??

Hi All,

We have Oracle 6i forms clients located in remote office building connected with us via leased line connection of 1Mega speed. The problem is that when we try retrieving data from the remote office we have a very slow response even though we upgraded the line to T1. However the response time is very good on the local network. Any Body knows how to correct this problem as far as I know that many offices are using oracle forms remotely with no such slowness problem.
Would you please assist us on how to reconfigure oracle forms to run on the remote offices.

Appreciated,
Ashraf
ASHRAFM
6 REPLIES 6
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Ashraf,

From the experience I had on those kind of issues, the problem is normally originated by a poor performance WAN. Test network perfomance doing an FTP (put and get) with a large file (30 Mb at least). You should get something like 7-8 Mb/sec in LAN and 500-600 Kb/sec in WAN (from remote offices).

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Ashraf_1
Frequent Advisor

Tahnks Eric,

But we know that some of the companies that have remote offices are able to update/read oracle data over dial up lines or VPN with an acceptable performance. So, I would revert the question to be is there an oracle parameter need to be changed so it could improve performance.

Regards,
Ashraf

ASHRAFM
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I don't know any specific Oracle parameter for network issues. But if you can, attach you init.ora.

I still think you should try the ftp test...
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you are using forms applications on a client-server mode, then your application design should be the direction that you should first opt for troubleshooting.

You cannot compare another persons environment with yours unless you run the same application as them...

Please check the number of records your base table block are returning during a query.

I am not sure about the parameter that can be set at the forms designer level.

You may also consider moving to a 3-tier architecture with a forms server communicating to your client which now runs using a browser and a JInitiator pluggin.

hope this helps!
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Jim Butler
Valued Contributor

On leased lines -
First - eliminate all unneeded protocols (i.e. I try to just have IP running on the remote lines)
econd - Look at your listener log, and perhaps run a trace to make sure you do not have errors in the listener.
Doing those 2 things should improve somewhat, and are the first things I would check.
Man The Bilge Pumps!
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Have you checked the network parameters (packet size ,...)

check these threads :
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=71845

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=59530

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux