New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 7.3.4: How to change the database name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Oracle 7.3.4: How to change the database name

All,

I have a oracle 7.3.4 database. I want to make clone this database and start with another name on same server. Is it possible ? if yes How ?

Thanks
Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
7 REPLIES 7
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 7.3.4: How to change the database name

Sunil,

The easiest way is to create an empty database with another name on another location (directory).
Once this is done you can import the data from an export you have taken from the other database.
spex
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sunil,

Wow, what a question. Yes, it's absolutely possible to clone a database on the same host. I've done just many times, and have found these directions to be invaluable:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_db_copy.htm

Note that the directions are for Oracle 8i, but should still be of use to you.

PCS
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi Sunil,

the only way to achieve this is through an export/import. You will need to create a new database with the desired new name and do the import on it.

I would also suggest that you migrate to a higher version. 8.1.7.4 should work as good as the 7.3.4. In 8i you have rman which facilitate these types of operations.

good luck!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Thanks all for your valuable inputs. The link given by PCS was very helpful.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
spex
Honored Contributor

Yogeeraj,

I'm sorry, but I disagree. The clone can be accomplished by copying the datafiles and configuration files, and then executing a controlfile creation script. I've done this many times.

PCS
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I'm with spex on this one.

Recreate the controlfile, and set the database name there. Make sure it matches in the init.ora file, and you're all done. It's pretty simple really.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi PCS and john,

I am really sorry about what I wrote. I should not have said "only"! I more often think in terms of availability and keeping the database always UP. That's why I thought only about the exp/imp solution as being the best. same for rman.

You are both right. Your methods are the easiest to implement.

thank you for correcting me here!

wish best wishes for New year 2007

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)