1751787 Members
5189 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 7.3.4 Tablespace Creation Time

Judy Kendall

Oracle 7.3.4 Tablespace Creation Time

Creating 50 GB tablespaces/datafiles in Oracle 7.x or 8.x on HP-UX 10.20
under vxfs takes about 8-9 hours at a rate of 10 minutes per GB. Disks are on an EMC array. Is this about right or can this process be sped up?
5 REPLIES 5
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 7.3.4 Tablespace Creation Time

Hello Judy,

You can speed up the system by increasing the memory, number of cpu's and swap space. For the interim, adjust the following kernel parameters:
allocate_fs_swapmap=0
maxdsize=1gb
shmmax=1gb
swapmem_on=1

I hope this helps

When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Hello Judy,

You can speed up the system by increasing the memory, number of cpu's and swap space. For the interim, adjust the following kernel parameters:
allocate_fs_swapmap=0
maxdsize=1gb
shmax=1gb
swapmem_on=1

I hope this helps

When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Wim Blom

Hi Judy,

I'm using a N4000 with a HPArray with 11.0. I don't have databases as large as you but creating a datafile of 1 GB takes about 15 min. For me that's normal, i think it depents on how frequently you are creating such datafiles before changing kernelsettings or adding memory/CPU's.

Hope it helps,

Wim
Quality is our driving force
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Judy,
I would stay away from adjusting kernel parameters. It doesn't make sense to me. I think you run a higher risk of negatively affecting performance somewhere else.
As far as more memory, don't see the need. You're not really working on a data set. Your writing nulls to a logical volume.
More CPUs. Again, don't see how it will help. You're not processing data.
How did you create the logical volumes? Is the slow performance when you are creating the logical volumes or when adding the table spaces in Oracle? My guess is it has more to do with how these logical volumes were created or are being created. Are they spread across controllers and LUNs? Did you do any type of stripping?
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Judy,
First things first, tune the kernel with the above parameters, if you have fast wide controllers change them to a HSC for improved performance. With 50gb of database, you sure need higher CPU, memory and swap space.