108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 8.1.6 HP-UX server change ip

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Jung
Occasional Contributor

Oracle 8.1.6 HP-UX server change ip

We are running Oracle 8.1.6 on a D280 HP-UX 11.0. I need to change the IP address of the server and would like to know if there is any issues or additional changes required from an Oracle perspective.

Thanks.
gj
6 REPLIES 6
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Other than modifying tnsnames.ora and listener.ora to reflect the changes, I can't think of anything.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi George,

From Oracle side, the entries in the tnsnames.ora and the listener.ora files. This files will be in $TNS_ADMIN directory. Change the entries refering to the hostname and ip_address and restart the listener.

This is on the server side and if you are accessing oracle database from any client side then on the client side change the tnsnames.ora file with the correct hostname and ip_addess.

Indira A

Never give up, Keep Trying
George Jung
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response. I checked tnsnames.ora and listener.ora and I'm using hostnames for both. Should be ok. Thanks again.

gj
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi gj,

Well, if you're using hostnames in the *.ora files, you had better make sure DNS gets changed. You're liable to have clients out there that will resolve the hostname via DNS and try to connect to the old IP.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

since you are using hostname for both, you should check the following:

server: tnsnames.ora and listener.ora
(Better if you have it centralised and use TNS_ADMIN environment variable)

client: tnsnanmes.ora

hope you don't have other types of clients using IP address to connect to the database ()e.g. odbc, oledb) or worst the full connect string. e.g. sqlplus system/manager@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=)))

best regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
George Jung
Occasional Contributor

confirm tnsnames.ora and listener.ora entries.