108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 8.1.7 - multiple instances not able to be started

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vinu Neelakandhan
Occasional Contributor

Oracle 8.1.7 - multiple instances not able to be started

I have installed Oracle 8.1.7 version on HP-UX 11.0 (64-bit) on an L Class machine (L2000-44). I have 2 instances of the database created(sid1 and sid2). I am not able to start both the instances simultaneously. Only one instance can run at a time. When I start the second instance the following message is shown :
"ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"
I do not see any specific message in the alert_sid.log file other than "Starting ORACLE instance (normal)". This is the only message which gets displayed. No other error message or success message ! I see a 'core' file dumped which is from the process 'oracle' (it says : ELF-64 core file - PA-RISC 2.0 from 'oracle' - received SIGILL).

I have tried by giving different "instance_number" parameter explicitly in the initsid.ora file as well. Is there any common parameter or parameter file, which would be causing this problem?

Can anyone give any clue as to what is happening? I can start any one of these instances separately, but not both simultaneously. Any pointers to this problem would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Oracle 8.1.7 - multiple instances not able to be started

Hello,

I answered a similar question earlier today. It probably is a problem with your kernel parameters. Check the semmns and shmmax parameters. They may need to be higher than what Oracle specifies. Here is the link to the earlier question:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x87d9d08cc06fd511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

Good luck!

JP
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
seems to be kernel config problem wherein you need to change the shared memory and semaphores parameters
SHMMAX = 1GB
SHMMIN=1
SHMSEG=10
SHMMNI=100
SEMMNS=200
SEMMNI=70
these are the minimum recommended values.
never give up
G.Kumar
Frequent Advisor

hi
I have faced this same problem once ;i could solve it by increasing semmns parameter.
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Vinu

Here are the recommnedations

There is a HP patch (PHSS_22478) that have to be applied before the oracle Install . Also, the HP Unix system configration must be verified and make any necessary changes based on the Oracle 8.1.7 requirement.

Parameter Required
==================================
SHMMAX 1gb
SHMMIN 1
SHMMNI 100
SHMSEG 10

SEMMNI 70
SEMMNS 200
MAX_THREAD_PROC > =256

In case you want I will send you kernel paramaeters too from a working machine.

Manoj Srivastava
Rick Bowles
Occasional Contributor

Found an artical that may help. If not now, later.

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/hp/server.804/A59371_01/ch3_opt.htm

You can also log on to the Oracle site and register. Then search for HP-UX
There's know place like ~/.
Robert P Jessie
Occasional Advisor

This happened to me! The other 2 instances are
32 bit and they won't start until you reset the OS parameter SHMMAX to just under 4G.
After you upgrade these daatabases to 64 bit then you can change SHMMAX to a higher level.