Oracle 817 install problem on HP-UX 11

Robert Samson

Oracle 817 install problem on HP-UX 11

Here is my set-up:
#uname -a
HP-UX hostname B.11.11 U 9000/810

#getconf KERNEL_BITS

Problem:
I am installing Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition using Typical Installation Type.

At the 73% progress bar status, the installation process gets stuck. The installActions.log has the ff:

Starting install install phase 1 of component Oracle Starter Database
Calling action fileActions1.7.1.7.0 finalClusterSetup
selectedNodes =
threadsActive = 2
vectorInitialSize = 50
vectorFactorSize = 25

On the Oracle Universal Installer GUI, I have the ff:

Installing Oracle Starter Database 8.1.7.0.0
Link pending...
Copying README_aso.txt

The process gets stuck at 73% and doesn't progress from there.

Any suggestions/patches needed?

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 817 install problem on HP-UX 11

Hi there.
Check this URL :

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x8bb853921f1ad5118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

The mentioned patch may be replaced now by something else.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Raju_6

Hi:

Install the patch PHSS_22478 [ if not installed already] and try again.

If you still have problem, watch for resource utilization, you might be running short of swap space.

Godd Luck !
Raju
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Robert,

Check and see that you have the kernel parameters set as per the oracle installatio nmanual requirements and also the patch sets loaded as per oracle 8i release notes, You can get the installation manual and the release notes for hp-ux from this link,

http://docs.oracle.com/database_mp.html

If the problems still persists, you can change the media and try.

Hope this helps.

Regds
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Robert,

make sure you have enough swap-space (or swapmem_on=1) and maxdsiz >= 300MB!

then check for the current patches - just the other day I installed 8.1.7 on a D-Class (=32bit) with only Core-OS-CD cold installed and the neccessary 5 patches successfully. But I needed lots of spwa-space and data segment size...

HTH,
Wodisch
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi

Had the same problem on 11.0 with installing 817.
Have you checked your maxdsiz and maxdsiz_64bit parameters. These should be set to at least 256 M, and are used in the linking of oracle during the installation.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Jon McDermott
Advisor

Check your /tmp partition, you need at least 200K of free space. Metalink documents this in Note 1014558.102.
Robert Samson

Thank you everyone for offering suggestions. Still having problems with the installation.

When I tried to install PHSS_22478 (and PHSS_24303) I receive the message from swinstall that ?????? there are no products on this source which are compatible with the target. Therefore, no products, are shown.???

My OS is 32 bit
swap available 1536000
/tmp has 387396 available

maxdsiz=2063835136 (no maxdsiz_64bit available to be set)
max_thread_proc=256
shmmni=200
shmseg=120
semmns=500
semmni=70
shmmax=1073741824

#bdf /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 yields 895939 available when I kill the install. It starts at 2052000.

I also tried copying the CD to disk and started installation from there. I start runInstall outside the directory. Same problem.

When I left the installation program running overnight, the next day there was a message ???Xlib: resource ID allocation space exhausted!

Is there a way of forcing the installation of the patches (PHSS_22478)? Which patches are necessary? The machine was cold installed 2 weeks ago. Patched with September 2001 Support Plus CD. Maybe our patching process is incorrect.

Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

your "maxdsiz" seems a little bit too big - AFAIK only 1GB - something is valid, usually a value of 500MB - 800MB is sufficient and save.
Then you'll need perhaps ~400MB free in "/tmp" and the previous week I did need only 5 (five) patches in addition to those available on the "Core OS" CD-ROM. Then using PFS the mounting of the Oracle8.1.7 (32bit) CD was no problem, and the installation run fine.
The original Oracle-installation-documentation is not that bad - everything I needed was in there ;-)
Check for those patches...

Regards,
Wodisch
Reynaldo
Occasional Contributor

Hi
Check this note in oracle metalink
Subject: ALERT:HP-UX: Patch Levels Advised
DocID : 43507.1

Good Luck
Reynaldo