New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 8i OPS and Oracle 9i RAC on same HP cluster with MCServiceGuard

SOLVED
Go to solution
SuperDome_1
Advisor

Oracle 8i OPS and Oracle 9i RAC on same HP cluster with MCServiceGuard

Hi Gurus..

I have a request from a customer, who wants to implement 8i OPS and 9i RAC on the same node with MCServiceGuard. I know that both version of the db support different versions of MCServiceGuard, with some product life cycle issues that are related.

Given the above, is the above possible, and if can 2 different MCServiceGuard versions exist on the same box... Or is there some ceritification / compatibility matrix that can help me out..

Thx
8 REPLIES 8
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Simple answer is no, you cannot do this.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think that you can have 2 different versions of MCSG installed on a system. However, since the databases are independant of MCSG, you should be able to perform the tasks needed to load both versions on the system (I think). I would install MCSG for RAC on the system, and see if 8i gives you the option to install the OPS software as well (it will be added to the options list if so). If this works, just install 8i and 9i, and setup your packages to start the databases.

If not, you can try installing the MCSG for OPS on the system, install 8i (to get the OPS software added), uninstall the MCSG for OPS off, install MCSG for RAC, and install 9i.

Since the base commands (vgexport, vgimport, vgchange) stay the same between the versions, you should be able to load the raw vg's without a problem, and start the databases.

Thanks,

Brian
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes 8i OPS and Oracle 9i RAC can co-exist on the same server for different instances.

But having different versions of MCServiceGuard on the same server I think is not possible.
Never give up, Keep Trying
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

you cannot have multiple versions of SG running.
there would be problems creating cluster.
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

The only time that there can be two versions of SG running would be during the upgrade time where one node would be upgraded to a different version and then the other.

Get the doc here

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/ha/index.html#ServiceGuard
SuperDome_1
Advisor

Hi All..

Thx for your replies.. Now that I know that one cluster can't have 2 separate versions of McServiceGuard, (unless you are upgrading).. which version of MCServiceGuard would I need to have both 8i OPS and 9i RAC configured on a cluster.. Is there just one 'magic' MCServiceGuard release level that would work, or are they several MCServiceGuard versions that can allow 8i OPS and 9i RAC to co-exist on the same box..

Thx
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

ok, exactly which versions of 8i and 9i do you want to run in the same cluster?
this does make a difference.

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

The biggest problem is making sure that Oracle installs the parallel server software with the DB. After that, it doesn't matter. The commands to mount the VG's are the same for both, the raw devices are normal. I don't think that you will have a problem.

Brian