1748180 Members
3829 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 8i end of file on comunication channel

Neil Harris
Regular Advisor

Oracle 8i end of file on comunication channel

we are running two oracle instances on an L2000 with dual processors and 2Gbytes of memory. We get
'end of file on comunication channel' when we attempt to start a third instance any one got any ideas. We feel its a kernel tuning problem but are unsure what to set.
An inveterate hacker
7 REPLIES 7
Neil Harris
Regular Advisor

Re: Oracle 8i end of file on comunication channel

addendum all required OS patches are applied
An inveterate hacker
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if your Oracle error was ora-03113 ????
If it is then here's what Oracle says:

Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication channel. The problem could not be
handled by the Net8, two task, software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process associated
with a Net8 connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is a physical failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is, the network or server machine went down.

Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the setup files for the appropriate Net8 driver and confirm Net8 software is correctly installed on the server. If the message occurs after a connection is well established, and the error is not due to a physical failure, check if a trace file was generated on the server at failure time. Existence of a trace file may suggest an Oracle internal error that requires the assistance of customer support.

Hope this helps,
/rcw
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

This looks more like an Oracle problem.
what ora error do you see?
It seems that it may be a problem with eth way Oracle builds it's binaries.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Edward Wynn
Advisor

Neil,

I had a similar sounding problem - when I tried to startup a 2nd instance on my L1000 I got:

SVRMGR> startup
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

In order to fix this I increased SEMMNS to 500 (instead of Oracle's recommended value of 200) and this solved the problem.

In your case for 3 instances you may need to make it even bigger than this but I suspect this is where your problem lies.

Cheers, Eddie

Bill Thorsteinson
Honored Contributor

I recently had similar problems opening an instance on a server. Check the installation documentation for the shared memory segment configuration data. Some of the calculations depend on the number of running instances. The example values may not be sufficient to start a server.
Dave Seibel
Occasional Advisor

Yep...Oracle is famous for giving weird messages when the Kernel parms are not correct. The ORA error message is useless.
I think Edward should win the points because I ran into the same thing and that is exactly how we fixed it. You might want to check the other HP-Ux parms that you changed and up some of them too if you are planning to have 3 instances going on one box.

DS
matt grove

Are you running Oracle Apps as well if so the kernel parameter nfile is one of the most important i found. Due to the number of datafiles loaded with 11i nfile needs to be set as high as possible.