New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 8i install and pfs_umount...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sally  Devine
Frequent Advisor

Oracle 8i install and pfs_umount...

Hello all,

I am trying to install Oracle 8i on an HPUX 11.0 system. The cd is pfs_mounted and we ran the "runInstaller" from outside the /cdrom directory. However, Oracle is asking for the second cd and of course we cannot pfs_umount because the device is busy. Can we force the umount? or is there another way?

Thank you all,
Sally
7 REPLIES 7
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Kill the pfs daemon and then try to unmount the cdrom drive.

you can use fuser -cu /cdrom to see who is using /cdrom directory

fuser -ck to kill the process and you should be able to unmount

-USA..
Good Luck..
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Sally:

See if this very detailed enumeration of procedure given by Wodisch solves your problem:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,11866,0x5de1f9beca68d511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

Regards!

...JRF...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Sally:

I did this two weeks ago. I saw immediately that there was a flaw in the install sequence. If you did not cd to /cdrom and then ran ./runInstaller then you should be ok.

I hope that you ran from /home/oracle or / and did a /cdrom/runInstaller. In that case, open another window, pfs_umount /cdrom, install the 2nd disk and do a pfs_mount /cdrom and you should be okay.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Sally,
Best option with multiple oracle cd's is to stage them (copy) on disk space, we've had to do that before. As far as your install goes, you'll be better of uninstalling then staging, then performing the install. You will still need to peform the pfs_mount for this. Here is my process for pfs_mounts.

GL,
C

vi /etc/pfs_fstab and verify: /dev/dsk/cntndn /cdrom pfs-rrip xlat=unix 0 0
(or put these options on command line)
/usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &
/usr/sbin/pfsd &
/usr/sbin/pfs_mount /cdrom
/usr/sbin/pfs_umount /cdrom
ps ???ef|grep pfs
kill ???9 (pfsd)
kill ???9 (pfs_mountd)

pfs_umount ???c (cleanup files if have trouble pfs mounting)
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
maria paschali
Frequent Advisor

Sally  Devine
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for the responses. My problem was that when I originally tried it I was in the /cdrom directory and then when I tried it again outside of the /cdrom directory, there were leftover processes. So killed off everything and it worked fine.

Sally
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Sally,

The solutions posted by others are also worth given points. Especially Maria spent quite sometime posting a good document. While it is upto your discretion, it will encourage them if they get some points for spending their time.

//Start
N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question
1- 3: The answer didn't really help answer my question but thanks for your assistance!
4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

Each response you receive is eligible to earn between 1-10 points based on your judgement of its value. You won't need to worry about running out of points and not having enough for when a truly awesome response rolls in that deserves a 10.
//End

Thanks,
-Sri

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try