5255 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9.2.0.6 to 10g R2 Migration - HP-UX Itanium

Dileep Tallam
Occasional Advisor

Oracle 9.2.0.6 to 10g R2 Migration - HP-UX Itanium

Hai All.
Our goal is to reach from 9.2.0.6 to 10g R2 using ASM,SGeRAC/SLVM.

We have currently:
a)Database Version: 9.2.0.6
b)Database Type: RAC (SLVM for DF, CF, RL)
c)Nodes: 2
d)O/S: HP-UX 11i v1(11.11)
e)Service Guard/SGeRAC: A.11.16
f) Server Type: Itanium 64 Bit

We would like to migrate to:
a)Database Version: 10.2.0.3
b)Database Type: RAC (ASM with SLVM)
c)Nodes: 2
d)O/S: HP-UX 11i v2(11.23)
e)Service Guard/SGeRAC: A.11.17
f) Server Type: Itanium 64 Bit

As said above, we have a 2 node 9i RAC database. We want to migrate to 10g R2. We want to use ASM as storage with 10g R2, using SGeRAC/SLVM instead of raw devices for ASM disks. HP-UX supports ASM with SLVM from SGeRAC/Service Guard version A.11.17.

So, How can we upgrade to 11.23 & SGeRAC A.11.17? Do, we have to re-install everything freshly?

regards,
Dileep Tallam.
4 REPLIES 4
tom quach_1
Super Advisor

Hi Dileep,

just an opinion on your question.
if your database is not too big, you may consider reinstall oracle to 10.2.0.1 and upgrade to 10.2.0.3 and import data back in.
you have similar case as mine. i have 2 nodes cluster running 9.2.0.5 in hpux 11.11 and MC version 11.16 with SGeRAC. when moving to 10g R2 a year ago. i dropped MC/service Guard, SGeRAC 11.16 and use Oracle cluster(OCR), ASM (with raw device,raw device in 9i SGeRAC is painfull, with 10g R2 ASM and raw devices, it's much easier). by the way, it's free (OCR, ASM) when you have license for RAC.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Dileep Tallam
Occasional Advisor

Dear Tom Quach,
I have recenlty done one installation at a Bank. It's a new setup. We used:

Oracle Version: 10.2.0.3.0
Server Type: rp 4440
Nodes: 2
O/S: HP-UX 11i v2(11.23)
Clusterware: SGeRAC/SGeRAC Toolkit: A.11.17
DB Storage: ASM with SLVM
Archive Logs: Local File System(from SAN)
ASM Disks: 2
(50GB: for DBF's,CFs & RL's, SPFile)
(1GB: for OCR, Voting Disk)

The installation was fine and we have tested failover/failback every thing. Its' fine. ofcourse we had some issues like Failover/Failback of VIP does'nt happen sometimes, but Session Failover happens.

We used ASM with SLVM as we used SLVM earlier in 9i also and using SGeRAC gives us some additional benefits which Oracle Clusterware does'nt give. Oracle always wants to claim something big. For example in Tru64 Unix, Tru Cluster is a compulsary one and Oracle Clusterware just runs on it. We cannot install RAC on Tru64 Trucluster without their Clusterware running.

Coming to this case, As already system is existing and there is a Data Guard also(Single Node) with a very good capacity.
They are using HP-UX 11.11 & SGeRAC A.11.16(SLVM) with Oracle 9206 RAC (Raw Logical Volumes). But, As HP supports ASM with SLVM
only from SGeRAC A.11.17, we wanted to change our O/S version and SGeRAC version also to 11.23 & A.11.7. The database export size is about 16GB. So, what would be the best approach?

regards,
Dileep Tallam.

tom quach_1
Super Advisor

Hi Dileep,

For 11.11 to 11.23 the upgrade or clean install is do able, as so for service Guard 11.16 to 11.17. But for oracle from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.3 . my opinion is to install fresh and import data back in, you database is not that big so it does not take much time to get it in. The benefit is to have a clean oracle enviroment, since 9i to 10g there are lot of new features.

We used ASM with SLVM as we used SLVM earlier in 9i also and using SGeRAC gives us some additional benefits which Oracle Clusterware does'nt give.

Dileep, Would you elaborate this abit. Were you talking about NIC failover (APA Auto port aggrigation)

Hope this helps,
Tom

Dileep Tallam
Occasional Advisor

Hai Tom.
Sorry. The O/S that is exiting is HP-UX 11.23, but the SGeRAC version is A.11.16.

So, HP-UX supports ASM with SLVM only from SGeRAC A.11.17, we are planning to move to SGeRAC A.11.17.

We have decided to use the following plan:

1) Use the DataGuard rx 8620, one more rx 4640
2) MSA 1000 Storage (for SLVM)

Plan:
1) Install HP-UX 11.23 & SGeRAC A.11.16 in the test RAC using the above hardware.
2) Upgrade SGeRAC to A.11.17
3) Create /ora10g & /crs10g file systems
4) Install Oracle 10g R2 Clusterware &
RAC binaries on the new file systems.
5) Create a Database using new SLVM with ASM.
6) Export data from Oracle 9i and
Import data into Oracle 10g database.

Please advice on any important issue if you can see here.

Coming to the advantages of SGeRAC, I was talking about:
a) NIC failover
b) Using HP-UX Packages to automate the
activation/de-activation of Volume Groups
(Shared & Non-Shared) for archives, rman
backups, database files(DBF, CF, RL).
So no NFS cross mounts and pain.
c) Starup/Shutdown of databases with
startup/shutdown of nodes.

regards,
Dileep Tallam.