4011 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9i Installation ON hpux 11.0

presage112
Advisor

Oracle 9i Installation ON hpux 11.0

hi guys,,,

I really suffer enough from this oracle and installing it .the documents come with the CD are so foolish ,it is the worse documents I have ever seen.any way firstly I would love if one of you direct me to a nice web site so I can have good documents on the proper way of installing oracle other wise I'll seek your kind assistance in answering the following queries.

-at the installation stage it asks to select or enter the home name and it's full path ,which path and nameis meant by this.

-At linkiing stage the following error appears
linking oracle 9i database 9.2.0.1.0
error in invoking trget relink makefile
/home/oracle/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.0/precomp/lib/ins_precomp_mk

-while running anything after the installation I get the following error "unable to find library "libwtcl9.sl".

-What does it mean to create an oracle account
on each node of the cluster.(I found this at the docs installation manual).

-it says also to setup a write permission on remote directory .

-why I can't get dcmctl tool is it because the linking .

-after the installation it says entter the full path of the local bin directory [/usr/local/bin]. what should I enter.

-finally ,if I have done the installation and it works ok (which is not expected),is there any where I can download dummy database for testing.

I know it is too much but I think your the only rescue,and I get the believe that some would help even if by answering some parts.

Regards.
9 REPLIES 9
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

1. Home name is the place where Oracle will get installed and is defined by the parameter ORACLE_HOME. It can take the value for example /oracle//920_64

2. Due to some library issue following has to be done to make the installation work using root account:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libX11.3 libX11.sl
ln -s libXm.4 libXm.sl
ln -s libXt.3 libXt.sl

3. If you are using Oracle cluster then it is applicable, else ignore.

4. Set the needed permission whereever asked.

5. Yes. You have to enter /usr/local/bin.

6. I don't think you can download from somewhere. You need to create one.

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Simon Hargrave
Honored Contributor

This is the ORACLE_HOME, which is basically where the oracle binaries will be installed.

You should have a filesystem setup for this, eg /u01. ORACLE_HOME will then be similar to: -

/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2/

I see you've installed under /home/oracle, that seems a bad idea, see above comment.

If you don't have a cluster (you are installing one one box only), don't worry about the cluster references.

/usr/local/bin is fine.

In terms of demo database, I believe there is an option to create one within the installer GUI, otherwise you will need to create database create scripts. If you are not a DBA/familiar with oracle this will not be a trivial task.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

About the "dummy database" for testing.

you can install/use the new Oracle9i schemas. These Sample Schemas are a set of interlinked schemas. This set of schemas is aimed at providing a layered approach to complexity:
a. A simple schema (Human Resources, HR) for introducing basic topics. An extension to this schema supports Oracle Internet Directory demos.
b. A second schema (Order Entry, OE) for dealing with matters of intermediate complexity. A multitude of datatypes is available in this schema.

The Online Catalog (OC) subschema is a collection of object-relational database objects built inside the OE schema.

c. A schema dedicated to multimedia datatypes (Product Media, PM)
d. A set of schemas gathered under the main schema name QS (Queued Shipping) to demonstrate Oracle Advanced Queuing capabilities.
e. A schema designed to allow for demos with larger amounts of data (Sales History, SH). An extension to this schema provides support for advanced analytic processing.

Note that When you do a complete installation of Oracle9i, the Sample Schemas are installed automatically with the seed database. If for some reason the seed database is removed from your system, you will need to reinstall the Sample Schemas.

if you need any further information, please let us know.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Note that your problem may also come from the fact that linking needs a lot of memory (compared to previous versions).

Prior to Oracle installation, you may need to increase maxdsiz, for ld to be able to link libraries.

To get more info, you can have a look at installation log (directory and file is specified on bottom of OUI window).

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Errors due to insufficient kernel parameters values, look at this url

http://docs.oracle.com/HTML_Storage/a90357/toc.htm
never give up
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

You can also have a look at this one :
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=169706.1

It is a complete document about all what you need to set up oracle on each Unix flavor.
(metalink account needed)

Regards,

Fred
--

presage112
Advisor

Thanks all,,

But I would still like to know if some one knows a good web page that could give a proper and good explanation on the whole installation procedure.

1-Simon ,do I have to create a logical volume.?? and what is the point behind that if so.

2-Fred,Ravi , for the kernel parameters they're setup as recomended by oracle so the problem is not from there.

3-One more thing ,did any body ever witnessed such error where it tells you that "unable to find library "libwtcl9.sl"

also does the name of this library has any abbriviated meaning.

Thanks & Regards.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

the whole (detailed) installation procedure is available at: http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/html/A96167_01/toc.htm

hope this helps!
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

For your third point, as long as you had problems during link time, you may have not linked all libraries. You can rebuild libs by using the "relink" utility in $ORACLE_HOME/bin with oracle user.

Regards,

Fred
--