cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 9i & HPUX 11i

James Specht
Trusted Contributor

Oracle 9i & HPUX 11i

We currently have oracle 8i running great but we are trying to get oracle 9i running on one of our K450 (11i) systems with 2Gig of real memory. Once the database is up we see a memory growth (read leak) of about 300megs for every 12 hours the database is up. This is the default oracle database and setup from oracle. We have done the recommended kernel changes and patches to HPUX. Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I can't believe 9i is this bad, so I keep thinking we missed something on our end.
"Everyone can be taught to sculpt: Michelangelo would have had to be taught how not to. So it is with the great programmers."
2 REPLIES
Ian Lochray
Respected Contributor

Re: Oracle 9i & HPUX 11i

James,
are you on the latest version of 9i (9.2.0.3 I think)? There are a lot of memory leak fixes in the later versions of 9i.
My experience of 9i is that it is a complete memory pig. My tests have shown that 9i shadow processes take twice as much as their 8i equivalents.
James Specht
Trusted Contributor

Re: Oracle 9i & HPUX 11i

I asked our DBAs and we installed 9.2.0.1. They are checking on getting the lastest and greatest. I agree that oracle 9i is a huge memory hog. We could work with that issue, but the memory leaking is terrible!
"Everyone can be taught to sculpt: Michelangelo would have had to be taught how not to. So it is with the great programmers."