New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9i and archivelog

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Viger,

Don't forget that a backup is only valid when you tested the restore. And id your backups are to a tape, there is always a chance (1%?) that your tape will be bad. So, be sure you have a plan B... :)

My plan A: cp via NFS to a backup server.

My plan B: tar to a tape 2 times a week.

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

If I can afford to loose some data, could I then just do an

RMAN> BACKUP DATABASE

on a regular basis and forget about the archive logs?

Regards,
- Viger -
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Viger,

It depends how much data you can afford to loose because if you don't have the archivelogs when a recovery is needed you are going to lose many data...

I think you should follow Yogeeraj suggestion script. You can also use Oracle Backup Manager (from Enterprise Manager).

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.

But, I will only loose the changes that have been done to the database while the "BACKUP DATABASE" command was running?

Regards,
- Viger -
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Hi viger!

Yes, you can do this but why would you want to do it?

If you do this, you will be able to recover only to the time when you performed the "backup database".

Noote that Backup of archived redolog is not that complicated nor time consuming if you do it more regularly (based on the number of logs generated).

kind regards
yogeeraj

No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again!

YES, you will "lose the changes that have been done to the database while the "BACKUP DATABASE" command was running" and also all changes made afterwards.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)

The question asked is "Why do I want to do this?"

We were first thinking about doing a backup once a week. With this backup strategy, we could afford loosing a week of data and a full backup once a week would suffice.

New requirements have arisen since then (sounds familiar?). Now, backups have do be done once a day and with this strategy we would do daily backups of arhive logs and weekly full backups of the database. This is kinda what you have suggested all along for us, I just has to take a detour to get there :-)

What about this rman script for performing full, weekly backups:

run {
allocate channel t1 type disk;
backup format '/opt/oracle/backup/%d' (database);
sql 'alter system archive log current';
backup arhivelog all delete input format '/opt/oracle/backup/%d-al-%u.%p';
release channel t1;
}

And for daily backups, we'll just drop the "backup ... (database)" command and keep the rest.

Regards,
- Viger -

Thanks all for your input on this!

With the comments from you, I have implemented a backup strategy with RMAN. Weekly database backups and daily archive log backups.

Now it only remains to see if we're able to do recovery. Yes, we WILL test this :-)

Regards,
- Viger -