New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 9i client on phux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Oracle 9i client on phux

Dear Sirs,

I am looking out for Oracle 9i client software on hpux 11.

Can someone suggest me the link for the download ?

Thanks,
Shiv
9 REPLIES 9
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

You can download Oracle software from this site.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/index.html

Or you can place an order for the software CD by raising a TAR with Oracle metalink or on the phone by calling the oracle support

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Shiv, You can download from
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/htdocs/devlic.html?http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/hpia64soft.html

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Indira,

I have a tnsnames.ora file. After installation what are the further steps to configure ?

Thanks,
Shiv
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

tnsnames.ora may be set via "Net Configuration Assistant".

another way would be editing the file found in /network/admin/ :

Sample TNSNAMES.ORA File Entry:
===============================

V805.US.ORACLE.COM = <-- V805 is the service alias,
US.ORACLE.COM is the domain
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = <-- section matches LISTENER.ORA
(PROTOCOL = TCP) <-- protocol
(Host = DAN.US.ORACLE.COM) <-- Database server host name
or IP address
(Port = 1521) <-- port the session will connect to
)
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)) <-- sid = the database sid
)

if u have Metalink access, read Note:69725.1

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

tnsnames.ora file is defined by the Net Configuration Assistant and is located under ORACLE_HOME/netwoek/admin/ directory.

There will be on ein the sample direcotory as well.

When you do the Net configuration section when installing the client, then it will prompt you for the service name (database name), server name, protocal and the port number

For example you have a database called "testdb" on server called "machine1" then the following are the entries in tnsnames.ora file.

testdb.WORLD =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = machine1)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = testdb)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

Note: the server name machine1 should be resolvable from the client machine.

The .world is the names.default_domain name which will be specified in the sqlnet.ora file located in the same directory.

Like this.

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD

attached is a document about tnsnames.ora file info.

Indira A

Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Sirs/Madam; I went to the download link and found that it is full fledged complete oracle 9i software.

I am interested in installing only oracle client because i don't have sufficient disk space on my home directory.

This big software i can't copy to execute the setup.

Thanks,
Shiv
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Shivkumar,

You will have to select the clinet software components.

Is your purpose of installing 9i client just to access the database using sqlplus. How about you try the Instant Client. You can download from this site.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/instantclient.html

Instant Client is FREE for anyone to use in a development or production environment. However, customers can only call Oracle Support if they already have a standard support contract. Instant Client can be used to run your OCI, OCCI, JDBC, and ODBC applications without installing a full Oracle Client. In addition, Instant Client supports SQL*Plus.
Instant Client allows you to run your applications without installing the standard Oracle client or having an ORACLE_HOME. OCI, OCCI, Pro*C, ODBC, and JDBC applications work without modification, while using significantly less disk space than before. Even SQL*Plus can be used with Instant Client. No recompile, no hassle.
It is available for HP-UX PA-RISC 32-bit, HP-UX PA-RISC 64-bit, HP-UX Itanium 32-bit, HP-UX Itanium 64-bit

Installation Instructions
1. Download the appropriate Instant Client packages for your platform. All installations REQUIRE the Basic or Basic Lite package.
2. Unzip the packages into a single directory such as "instantclient".
3. Set the library loading path in your environment to the directory in Step 2 ("instantclient"). On many UNIX platforms, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the appropriate environment variable. On Windows, PATH should be used.
4. Start your application and enjoy.

Or as mentioned earlier, get the 9i client software CD from Oracle.

Indira A
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Shivkumar,

There is more.

Here is a site where you have the FAQ about Instant Cleint.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/ic-faq.html

And Metalink Note:207303.1 explains Client / Server / Interoperability Support Between Different Oracle Versions
For a summary of the support status of each Oracle release see Note 161818.1

IA
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi shiv,

Note that the Instant Client, enables you to install only the shared libraries required by Oracle Call Interface applications that use the Instant Client feature. This installation type requires much less disk space than the other Oracle Database Client installation types.

Note 536614.996 says that Instant client is an ODBC based client.

As such, with the instant client, the easiest possible configuration is by providing only the Complete Connection URL.

Such that when creating the Data Souce for your connection, you can choose to eliminate the use of a names resolution method such as local or names server and provide a special connection URL that the instant client understands.

The connection URL has the following syntax:

//hostname:port/servicename

where
hostname: This is the host name or machine name where the target Oracle database is currently running.

port: This is the port where the listener is listening for incoming connections

servicename: This is the servicename of the target Oracle database.

Type the correct and complete connection URL using the syntax above in the text box labeled "TNS Service Name" on the Oracle ODBC driver configuration screen.

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)