1752501 Members
5157 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Oracle / CPU usages

Samuel Scott
Frequent Advisor

The last three mornings I have been monitoring this issue via glance, top, and sar. The problem has not reappeared. I did see in Glance where one process occasionally would jump up briefly and grab 20- 25% of the CPU. That process was called ORACLEBS1D, and may be a key to the problem.

btw, I found no matches on ITRC when I entered ORACLEBS1D.

Here is my conclusion. Under normal circumstances, it appears CPU usage on all CPUs remains less than 1%. Understanding that processes (even multi-threaded) don't normally 'jump'from one CPU to the next if they don't have to, but prefer to run on only one CPU. Also, the Scheduler doesn't try to load balance CPUs. Following that, my conclusion is an ORACLE user process (ORACLEBS1D?) consumes excessive CPU cycles on CPU 3 and it just appears that all oracle processes are using it, when in fact the other processes are running less than 1% and wouldn't be noticed.

This is a development box so it makes sense that the problem may have disappeared. Perhaps the user realized his mistake and quielty made the correction.

I'll continue to monitor this for a while, but I think the problem is not with the HP Scheduler or even with ORACLE, but with a runaway development process.

If anyone has other ideas, let me know.

Samuel Scott
Frequent Advisor

solution: check last response for details on possible solution. One runaway processes is most likely.