New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Oracle Configuration

Hi,

I have installed and configured an Oracle Instance for Openview Operations Application.
During the "ovoinstall" utility i was able to split only data and index in separate filesystem.Now i need to move rollback segment,control file and log on a separate filesystem.
Can anyone suggest me the better way to do this? which are the steps that i have to follow?

Thanks A Lot,

Fabrizio
9 REPLIES 9
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Fabrizio,

1) for the rollback segments, you can delete existing one (excpet the one in SYSTEM) and create a new rollback tablespace and rollback segments. Don't forget ot rename in init.ora file if you change the rollback segments name.

2) control file : you can clown the database on itself.

3) log : Is this redolog ?
if yes, create new redo log groups in the desire location

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Fabrizio,
You should be able to do it, but it requires your Oracle instance to be shutdown. Please read the following links carefully, its been one of the most common questions in these forums

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=6304

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=775282

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=6304

I would suggest that you run search for yourself in the ITRC forums and that should give you enough information on how to accomplish this

rgds
Mobeen
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Hi Jean,

Can you give me some details.

In which way can i create a new rollback segments and rollback tablespace?

In which way can i clow the database?

In which way can i create a new redo log groups?

Thanks a Lot,

Fabrizio

renarios
Trusted Contributor

Hi Fabrizio,

I think you can better post your questions on metalink.oracle.com. There are several forums how to do this.
But if you just created an (empty) instance, the shortest way is to just throw away the database and recreate it with the right values. I you create the instance by using DBCA (DataBase Creation Assistance), please select the "don't create the database, but write it in scripts" button, so you can change values in the scripts and run those scripts from sql*plus.
Also search for documents according OFA (Optimal flexible Architecture)
Another way is to putting the tablespaces offline and use statements like 'Alter database rename '/u01/...' to '..';, but that's quite a jobs if you don't have DBA knowledge.

Succes!

Rene
Nothing is more successfull as failure
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fabrizio,

to clone a database (even onto itself !) see instruction in thread :
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/parseCurl.do?CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0x2a7eef70e827d711abdc0090277a778c%2C00.html&admit=716493758+1110557861245+28353475

Please note that the (new) location for the control file will be in the init.ora file

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

to resize (or change location) of the redo log files see Metalink Note:1035935.6

If you have a support contract with Oracle you can have access to Metalink (just need to register).
Let us know if this is a pb for you.

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Fabrizio,

Attached is a document that describes the procedure and steps to relocate the control files, rollback / UNDO tablespace datafile and redo logs to a different location.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Everybody has good advise as always, specially the doc file posted by Indira.

A few remarks though...

>> Now i need to move rollback segment,control file and log on a separate filesystem.

Do you really have enough activity to have to worry about that? I know... rules of the thumb and good practice. But these days with files systems carved from pools of striped/raided disk the file system seperation is largely a moot point.
Specially control file. They are a few KB/MB and will have what... 5 IO/s minute?

IMHO it is NOT critical to shutdown the DB for UNDO and REDO move. Just add the new ones, switch and start dropping the old ones.
Of course the drop will fail if it is still in use. So try again later... or as suggested shutdown and mount restricted.

If you do shut down, there are twe more alternatives available. Copy the desired files to the new location, then put a softlink where the original was, or 'alter database' to teach it where the file now lives.

The control file can simply be copies (with DB down for sure) and then modify your $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initXXX.ora to point to the new location(s).

Or.... you could
- SQL> BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE (check syntax!)
- SHUTDOWN.
- Move the DB files (OS commands)
- Edit the 'CREATE CONTROL FILE' generated with that backup to change the file locations
- CREATE CONTROL FILE (see DBA manual).
That woudl create a fresh control file in the new location pointing to the freshly moved files.

So many choices...

Thought to ponder... and I don't mean to offend you, but if you don't know HOW to do this, then are you really sure WHY you need to do it in the first place.

Admittedly... when I set up a fresh system I strive for the ideal configuration also, whether I need it or not. But once it works, I only chane stuff if the need for chance is indicated.

Cheers,
Hein.

Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Thanks a lot all for the aswers..

Regards, Fabrizio