1748202 Members
3115 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle DB disconnect

John Ferrara
Frequent Advisor

Oracle DB disconnect

I have an L2000 w/ HPUX 11.00 and Oracle 7.???. My users keep complaining of db disconnects or G2 bridge disconnects. I can not find any errors on the server and the users & the network group insist it's my server that is the culprit. Could this be a timeout issue w/ Oracle? Or is there something wrong w/ the server?
It was working fine when I left....what did you do?
5 REPLIES 5
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle DB disconnect

Are you using fibre lan cards on the L class ? Are your users not (ie. PC's with 10Mb lan cards) ?

Are you using the 100BT lan card ? If so are you set to 100 half duplex and the port it connects to (hub/switch) set to 100 half duplex also (not autonegotiate) ?

Weve had similar problems before which a nightmare to fix. Usually one of two problems, network connection (as per above, either a network device or a setting - see if you can get someone from networks to run a track on a user (monitor all their TCP packets using a sniffer) and when they get disconnected they should be able to spot exactly why/how) or
2. the application. How does the application connect all the way from the users desktop to the HP ? the more steps/servers in between the more chance one is the culprit.

In my experience its not caused by HP-UX (unless your patching is way out of date). You really need a network sniffer to trace users when they get disconnected.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

hi,

check your syslog.log file and dmesg
output to catch any lan related errors.
Also, have a look at the oracle listener
logs.

If possible, post more detailed info
on the errors.

-raj
Take it easy.
John Ferrara
Frequent Advisor

Stefan,

I'm using the core I/O NIC @ 10/HD. The users are attached via PC emulator (Reflection) @ 10BT to Cisco switch to a metro FDDI leased line to my box.

RajMan,

No errors are in syslog or dmesg.

John
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
If this is an Oracle error (ie SQL*NET or Net8) you could check the listener.log and sqlnet.log files in $ORACLE_HOME/network/logs

If nothing there, consider setting up trace on the Listener.
This is configured in the listener.ora and/or sqlnet.ora files, but I'm not fluent in this topic so you might want to get this information elsewhere.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
John Ferrara
Frequent Advisor

Listener has nothing on the error. What the users are seeing is "Port 41 Disconnect". I've called tech support and they told me to apply the latest patch bundle. This also seems to be an itermittant problem. Sometimes it occurs 3-5 times in a day, sometimes once in 2-3 weeks. What tells a port to disconnect?