6291 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle DB frozen

Conrado Camacho
Advisor

Oracle DB frozen

Please Help.
When I try to startup my database it is instanced, mounted, but not opened. it freezes during this process.
I have Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.0

Please help. This is the second time it happens and last time I just restarted the server and the problem was fixed, today it is not functioning....

Regards
Camacho

7 REPLIES 7
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

please post the contents of you alert.log file.
spex
Honored Contributor

Hi Camacho,

Based on the symptoms you describe here, as well as your previous thread, I believe you have a defective disk drive. Scan syslog and alertlog for clues as to which drive is the culprit.

I hope you have a good backup.

PCS
Conrado Camacho
Advisor

I am afraid some kind damage may be in my hard drive. could It be possible that some sector of my hard drive can be damaged only and when oracle tries to access that sector the system hangs as in windows happens?

Regards

Camacho.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes, that is entirely possible.

When oracle starts it tries to open ALL files that are part of the database. If a hard drive is damaged and a file cannot be opened then the DB will not start and will show symptoms exactly like you see.

If you look at your /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file and your alert log file for the DB then you should have a good idea of the failure point.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

be sure to check the Oracle Alert Log for details on errors found in a (background) process which could not directly communicated with the command originator.

In turn that Alert.log may point to a .TRC file with details on the problem.

Was the database shut down cleanly or brought down abruptly (system crash, Oracle process failure or 'shutdown abort' request)?
Your database may well be trying to apply redo logs.

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi Camacho,

Unless you post your alert.log, we will not be able to identify the root cause of your problem.

Make sure that there are no errors in your syslog.log or no errors displayed when you run dmesg.

if you need any further assistance, please upload more information from both the files mentioned above.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Conrado Camacho
Advisor

Thank you very much for your help.

Last Friday I restarted my server and the database started properly. As reccomended previously. I will purchase a new hard disk (As Spex and Patrick suggest). My syslog sent an scsi disconnect message I guess this is the real problem. All your comments have been useful enough to give me a better undestanding on this.

Thank everyone

Regards
Camacho