1752615 Members
5014 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle Memory Hogs

Seth Patterson
Advisor

Oracle Memory Hogs

I have a V2500 running 11.0. It has 14 processors and 12gb of memory. It is the database server for our Website. The front end application/web servers are NT machines that attatch to the DB server using an Oracle JDBC driver.
The dedicated server processes that are spawned through the JDBC connection usually use about 2-5mb of RSS. However, over time, some of them will go as high as 200mb! The process ID will change, but it is like the memory is never freed up back to the OS for redistribution. Is it possible that the socket connection retains the memory and each new Oracle process that comes through the pipe is reusing the already allocated RSS?? It eventaully brings the system to its knees. Oracle recommends upgrading the JDBC client but can't give me a reason as to why that will fix the issue.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle Memory Hogs

Hello Seth,

have a look at hp's Java pages at

http://www.hp.com/go/java

there were a lot of improvements for Java
running under HP-UX 11.x this year!

HTH,
Wodisch
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Seth,

this sound like an application related issue. An upgrade of your JDBC driver might help.

thanks
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Seth,

I second Sanjay's sentiment, it does sound application related. Also, once a process has gone away, it should release all the memory that it had back to the OS for distribution amongst the other processes.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans