New Discussion юеВ

Oracle Migration from 7.3 to 9i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rgomes
Valued Contributor

Oracle Migration from 7.3 to 9i

Hi All,

There is a requirement to migrate/upgrade oracle7.3/Sun Solaris to Oracle9i/Linux.

Future Platform will be:

1. 64 bit 3.6GHz or higher ( No. of CPU 2)
2. Red Hat Enterprise Linux V2.1
3. Oracle 9i
4. frontEnd developer-2000 , version 6i

Has anyone tried this before? Is there any checklist for this migration task? Any help will be appreciated.

TIA.
Richard
15 REPLIES 15
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle Migration from 7.3 to 9i

Hi,

I think since a platform change is involved, there is nothing else to do but export / import.
Carefully consider the use of new Oracle features like LMTS and ASSM when setting up the target tablespaces.
You should use automatic UNDO management on the new release.

How big is the database ?
select sum(bytes) from dba_segmnets where owner='you_application_schema';

Hope this helps
Volker
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Export/import is the solution to migrate.

I've done this some times ago, and I've noticed that exporting 7.3 and importing 9i with full=y may bring you some problems.
To speed up and to avoid thos problems of import, I would suggest to import user by user and in multiple pass :
1. create structure (rows=n, indexes=n, constraints=n, grants=n)
2. disable triggers if you have.
3. import data (rows=y, indexes=n, constraints=n, grants=n). This step will re-enable triggers.
4. import the rest (rows=n, indexes=y, constraints=y, grants=y)
About this method, have a look the info I give in this thread :
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=909389

To create 9i database, you'll need to give a serious look at those new features :
. Temporary tablespaces
. Undo segments
. Also you'd better test before, to see implication of new optimizer version. RBO is to be abandonned for CBO and analyze have to be done regularly. Test your queries to see if there are any slowdowns (it may happen).
. Check your admin habits and scripts now that svrmgrl is no longer there.

Once 9i is running, you'll have to check all of those new other features that may be interresting :)

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Rgomes
Valued Contributor

Hi Volker and Fred,

Thanks for your reply.
So, it can be migrated directly from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 9i? Single phase? Or have to migrate first to Oracle 8x, then Oracle 9i?

Regards,
Richard
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor
Solution

Based on my upgrade you have a multi step process.

1) Oracle 7.x to Oracle 8.x then 9i. There are conversion processes in the 9i upgrade that require the data to be at a certain standard. The document is pretty extensive.

2) Oracle Solaris to Linux.

Things are the same, but there may be some differences.

3) 32 bit word size to 64 bit word size. If the OS was 32 bit of the database server software on the Solaris was 32 bit(64 bit Os doesn't matter) there is a special word size conversion process that if done wrong can mess up your database.

Take it from a veteran of the school of hard oracle knocks. Though the documentation exists at metalink.oracle.com to do the job without help, you probably want to involve a competant Oracle engineer when you design the migration process.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi

Attached document describes ├в How to Use Export and Import when Transferring Data Across Platforms or Across 32-bit and 64-bit Servers├в

This document provides the concepts how the export and import utilities can be used to transfer data, schemas, tablespaces, databases across platforms and across 32-bit/64-bit processor servers.
The document is limited to the usage of the Export and Import utilties, and does not give you detailed information about the following upgrade or migrate procedures:

I hope this helps

In
Never give up, Keep Trying
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

There are 2 ways to do this.

1 - 7.x -> 8.x -> 9.x as SEP said;
2 - A new Oracle 9i install on the new server and Export/Import of your data.

I think that in your case it is much more easy to do it by the 2├В┬║ option. You need to be aware of the 32->64 bits conversion...

Best Regards,

Eric Antun
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

Check Metalin Note 262301.1 for 32->64 bits migration!

Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

SEP, Eric,

Isn't it a bit too heavy to go through migration process from 7 to 8 then from 8 to 9, when, at least, you will have to export/import, as long as you change OS ? I think export 7 and import 9i is simplier.

Indira is right to mention that, if source server is 32 bits, export / import must be done differently. Concept is to use the same client to make import and export. As long as 7 cannot connect to 9i and 9i cannot connect to 7, you'll have to install a 8i client (better is on one of the servers) and to use imp and exp from this client.
If both servers are 64bits, you should be able to use export and import from each Oracle kernel.

Regards,

Fred
--

Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Eric,

Link you gave is about pw-syscall module missing on an AIX. This is specific to this platform.

Regards,

Fred
--