New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle OPatch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daedalus_1
Advisor

Oracle OPatch

Hi

Does anyone have use Oracle opatch to install patches ? Would like to ask whether instance restart are required after the performing the "opatch-ing" in order to bring the pateches to take effect ? Or do i need to shut down all the instance before i perform opatch ?

Many thanks
Daedalus
7 REPLIES 7
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

The Interim Patch Installer, OPatch, is an Oracle supplied utility to assist with the process of applying interim patches to Oracle's database software. It can only be used with Data Server Interim patches for Oracle9i Release 2 (version 9.2) or greater.

Being just a "tool", you must follow the normal procedure for applying your patches as per the instructions comming with the patch.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Daedalus_1
Advisor

Thank Yogeer

I'm now actually going to install patch 3811887. (http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=281188.1)

From the readme i could find, there's no procedure mentioned for restarting nor shutdown the instance.

Is there any other material i could refer to?

Moreover, If instance restart is not required, how could i ensure that the patch has successfully installed and took effect?

Many Thanks
Daedalus
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hello daedalus!

just went through the readme of the patch and here is a quote:

# Patch Special Instructions:
# ---------------------------
# Make sure all instances running under the ORACLE_HOME being patched
# are cleanly shutdown before installing this patch. Also ensure that
# the tool used to terminate the instance(s) has exited cleanly.
#

(http://updates.oracle.com/ARULink/PatchDetails/view_readme?plat_lang=59P&patch_file=&file_id=&password_required=&merged_trans=&aru=6451608&patch_num=3811887&default_release=8092040&default_plat_lang=59P&patch_password=&orderby=&direction=&no_header=0&sortcolpressed=&tab_number=&email=unknown)

which is a clear instruction of what has to be done!

you should print the readme and read it carefully. It contains precious and specific information about patches.

hope this helps!
regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Daedalus_1
Advisor

Yogeer

Thanks for your help.

I think the part you mentioned in the README is part of the "Patch Special Instructions".

Which, I'm not sure whether that's a must to go through these steps or I only need to run the "opatch apply", as stated in the "Patch Installation Instructions".

Quoted:
----------
Now, if using Context, follow the Special Instruction steps
below to update the Context schema.
----------

How can I check whether "Context Schema" are used in my Oracle?

Many thanks for that and sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Daedalus
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

you can run the universal installer and check for the installed products. Look for "Oracle Context". If you have it listed over there, then you do have Oracle Context installed.

regards
Yogeeraj
Daedalus_1
Advisor

Thx Yogeer

That's helpful.
Daedalus_1
Advisor

case close