1751840 Members
5318 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle Upgrade

Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Oracle Upgrade

We are running Oracle 7.3.4 on HP UX 10.2.We are upgrading our server and will be installing Oracle 7.3.4 Enterprise edition on the new server. SQL*Menu 5 and SQL*Forms 3.0(which we use a lot) is not avalilable on the 7.3.4 Installation(They said it is avalilable on 7.2- we have got the CD for that)
I was thinking that an option would be to install Oracle 7.2 and then upgrade to 7.3.4 (on the same ORACLE_HOME) . In this way I can keep the MEnu and Forms from 7.2 but upgrade the others .
When I upgrade , and use the same ORACLE_HOME, do I have to deinstall anything from 7.2 release. And If I deinstall would I loose Forms3 and Menu5. And what if I upgrade, without deinstalling anything on the 7.2 release or is there any software that I should mandatorily deinstall ?
I hope someone can help me, as this is the first time I am doing an Oracle Installation

Many Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

When you say that you are upgrading HP-UX 10.20 are you upgrading to HP-UX 11.0 or HP-UX 11i. And if you are upgrading to either of the HP-UX releases, Oracle 7.3.4 is no more supported.

And Customer care support for Forms 3.0 & SQL*Menu 5.0 has ended on 30-JUN-1998, and Forms 3.0 is not Year 2000 Compliance

Its better you install oracle 8i or higher release. But Forms 3.0 is not supported for running against Oracle 8.

You could look into developer 2000 or later releases.

Please provide more information

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Indira,
We are not upgrading the OS either- still have to run 7.3.4 on HP UX 10.2 ! I know our system is ancient- we are doing our best to get the upgrades- but for the time being (atleast one year) we need this - I hope this makes my question clearer .Thanks
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

I don't think you have to uninstall anything when migrating from 7.2 to 7.3.4... Normally such upgrades are done with patches!
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have not done an upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3.4. But here are few suggestions.

Yes as Antunes, when upgrading from 7.2 to 7.3.4 you need not un-install any thing.

To upgrade from release 7.2.x to release 7.3.4, you must run the scripts:

cat7301.sql, cat7302.sql, cat7303.sql, and cat7304.sql

and follow the instructions in Oracle7 Server Migration, Release 7.3, Chapter 9, "Upgrading and Downgrading between Oracle7 Releases" regarding running catalog, catproc etc.. and enabling 7.3 features.

Upgrade Issues (New Compatibility Type and Resizable Datafiles)

A new compatibility type was added as of Release 7.2. It guarantees that, when any feature of resizable datafiles is used, Oracle will either automatically upgrade to the current release or issue an error message if such operation is not allowed,
according to

Please refer to the upgrade guides and documents. Attached is a document that discusses the issues to be aware of upgrading to Oracle 7.3 from 7.2 from Metalink.

I hope this helps

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Indira - one more quick question, If I install 7.2.3 and upgrade to 7.3.4 on the new server before I create any databse at all, should I run the CAT73*.sql scripts ? I am planning to create the database after the upgrade to 7.3.4 and import data from a database created with 7.3.4 . Many thanks in advance
R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure when it happened. It may have been with 8i so check things carefully because I could be wrong.

Oracle has a tools group and a server group. At some point in time the tools group got tired of playing catch up (or so the folklore goes). They had to wait for a server release because they used some of the same libraries as the server group and therefore couldn't release until they were sure that the server libraries were stable.

The thing to watch out for is installing forms in the same Oracle Home as the server. It may have been under forms 5.0, but there was a set of forms installation instructions that said "Don't install in the same oracle home" If you see that, take it seriously, because a few years back I didn't and it caused a lot of headaches.

-Good Luck
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

George, you maybe have too many threads open for the same problem :)

Indira says :
>To upgrade from release 7.2.x to release
>7.3.4, you must run the scripts:
>
>cat7301.sql, cat7302.sql, cat7303.sql, and
>cat7304.sql

but as I said on other thread you are not going to migrate any DB. You only have to upgrade server. New 7.3.4 DB will be created using there catalog, not need to use those cat7XXX.sql.

Other thing, not to confuse evereybody : you say " am planning to create the database after the upgrade to 7.3.4 and import data from a database created with 7.3.4" where you seem to mean " am planning to create the database after the upgrade to 7.3.4 and import data from a database created with 7.2"

Merging all the questions you posted in different threads, I would be with R. Allan Hicks : You should keep your 7.2 with Forms 3 and Menu 5, and install 7.3.4 in another ORACLE_HOME.
I already had 10.20 (years ago) server runing well those versions in different ORACLE_HOME.

regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Massimo_37
Frequent Advisor

Sorry if I confused everyone- But I am creating the database on Oracle 7.3.4 (after upgrade) and importing data from a database created with 7.3.4 itself(not 7.2).
We have another server currently running 7.3.4 and it is from that server that I would be taking my full backup.
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

So you really dont have to play those all of those sql script. They aim at migrating the oracle dictionnary for a DB created in 7.2 after you patched the oracle kernel to 7.3.4.
Just import and it'll be fine.

regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)