5390 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle & HP UX Migration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anju Goel

Oracle & HP UX Migration

We have an Oracle 7.0 database installed on a HP-9000 E-35 server. Will the Oracle application continue to work if we restore the filesystem to another server(say L class or K class) running Hp UX 11
12 REPLIES 12
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle & HP UX Migration

Hi there.
It is basically possible, but it is just a bit hazardous. I am not sure, whether Oracle 7.0..
is certified on HP-UX 11.00.
I would go to Oracle 8.1.6 or so.
The basic transfer could be done this way :
export the contents of the database including indexes etc. on the old system.
transfer the export file to the new system ( already configured with HP-UX and the basic database installation as it was on the old machine ).
Then import the data to the database on this new machine. One advantage is, that you also get rid of fragmentation.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
on the database
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
I just noticed, that you run Oracle Applications.
You have to upgrade anyway to Oracle RDBMS 8.0... and at least Applications 10.7.
Do the upgrade on the old machine and then do as i told before. If you can use 64-bit techs on the new machine, you can use the 64-bit version of the database. It is a bit tricky, but it works. We have done these steps about 3 years ago transfering from an I70 to a V2500.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
first of all oracle 7.0 never run on HP-UX 11.0 . hp-ux 11.0/11i supports only orcale 8x.
so don't try to migrate to hp 11.0
never give up
Anju Goel

Thanks a lot.
Let me rephrase the question a little.
We have an inhouse legacy appliaction developed in Forms3.0. Can I upgrade the hardware(to say a better class of server) and os (from 9.x to 10.x or 11.x) and even the database (from 7.0 to 8.0 or 8i) without changing the Forms3.0 application?
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

For information this post describes supported revisions per platform.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x05006d96588ad4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Good luck,
Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
My thanks to Bill.
That was the link i could not remember.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
Gary Tinnes
Frequent Advisor

Forms 3.0 has not been supported since 7.2. You will have to migrate to Developer 2000. I had a client that was stuck on 7.1.3 (I seem to recall) that had to do that so that they could upgrade to 8.
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

Hello Anju,

I don't know if this is the kind of information you are looking for, or not. But, I'm pretty proud of it, so here we go.

I migrated an Oracle 7.3 database on HP-UX 10.2 with Apps 10.7 to an N-class with HP-UX 11.0 (64 bit) running Oracle 7.3.4.5. It was a very complex project, but we managed it with only a day downtime (well, they gave us 2 but we only used 1).

Basically, we installed Oracle on the new machine. Copied all the Apps directories. Relinked everything. Copied the closed database files over. Did some finessing with the init.ora and brought it up.

I have much more detail if you are interested. But, I can't stress enough... TEST! TEST! TEST! There are a billion details to consider when doing a large database migration.

Hope this helps you some,

Jared
Bernhard Meier
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
the link published by Bill is no more valid. Who can help me. I want to run Forms3.0 on HP-UX 11 against a Oracle 8i Database.
Greetings
Bernhard

>For information this post describes supported revisions per platform.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x05006d96588ad4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

Good luck,
Later,
Bill