4720 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle archiving redologs to tape

Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Oracle archiving redologs to tape

Oracle 7.3.4
I would like archive redologs directly to tape using archmon.
Is anybody using this issue?

Any advice will help.
unsupported
8 REPLIES 8
Steve Slade
Frequent Advisor

Re: Oracle archiving redologs to tape

I am not sure that you can with the Oracle Arch process as its only parameters are a location for the archived files. Maybe have a cron job to clear down this other location at regular intervals?

Only advice I would give is to make sure to check how fast you are log switching - can see from alert log - as if your arch process falls behind becuase of a slow tape backup, the whole database will freeze until arch has freed up a logfile.
If at first you do not succeed. Destroy all evidence that you even attempted.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
I attached a little script for compressing these files. Then you can do a separate backup using tar, cpio etc. The archmon writing to tape directly is not a good idea. If your database is restarted after a crash and something must be recovered, you will end up in problems.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Next script... ( lhd )
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

third script ( wh_is )...
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Hermes:
You are rigth about recovery, thanks.

The main question is, have you used/tryed this issue?

At least, do you know the way to do it?
unsupported
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi Carlos.
I did not try it, because Oracle does not support it. I had the same idea once and asked the Oracle support guys. The only way would be to set the archive path to the device file
( similar to raw devices ) i think, but i did not try. According to my external consultant you have to set special parameters to the archive process. What if the tape is full ?

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Thanks Hermes ( two additional points).

Any more ideas?
unsupported
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi Carlos.
Why not create a directory on another disk,
where you have more psace available and do a softlink from the original point ?
That's what we did.

Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes