108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle benchmarking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Allanm
Super Advisor

Oracle benchmarking

I need to benchmark oracle. Is there a way I could do that through Nagios? Has anyone tried that. Please suggest.

Thanks,
Allan
8 REPLIES 8
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

'benchmark' is a very wide term.

Benchmark your application? In that case you need a dedicated driver. You may want to use a tool like 'loadrunner' for this.

Nagios is a monitor tool, so you could use it to report on a benchmark result, not to run one.

As a starting point for oracle benchmarking you may want to google for 'swingbench'

And be sure to contact Oracle or Application documenation/FAQs/Forums for further help because this is typically NOT Hpux dependent allthough some solutions may or mighe not be available for hpux.

And... consider professional help.
Your typical 'quick & dirty' artificial benchmark is a total waste of time pinning a meaningless number ona meaningless operation.

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

how about going to tcp.org and reviewing what has already been done ?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

sorry.... tpc.org :)

Allanm
Super Advisor

Let me re-phrase:

Can we measure the Oracle performance parameters ( thru Nagios )while doing load test . Has anybody tried that before. Please share.

Thanks,
Allan
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi Allan,

what do your really need?

Have a look at Oracle Enterprise Manager Database control which comes with your oracle installation.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

There are some, limited Oracle plugins for Nagios (google: oracle nagios plugin).
I view them more as 'production/operational support' helpers than as performance measurement tools, but will be happy to be proven wrong

For serious performance work IMHO you need to get to the source: Oracle statspack / AWR and/or Enterprise Manager.
Helpers distort.

I like using Time-Line tools to be able to correlate OS and DB stats, but mostly roll my own based on specific needs.

fwiw,
Hein.

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

Which version of Oracle are you using?

We run oracle 10g r2 and the OEM database control allows us to view performance over an Historical Interval Selection.

The main portion allows us to analyse performance of the instance in the form of session wait, CPU and user IO.

Detailed reports over a specified interval show us:
- Host-level: Runnable processes and Load average

- Average Active sessions: Active sessions against performance indicators like (network, concurrency, user IO, system IO, CPU Used, etc)

- Instance Disk IO: per second indications of Physical writes and Physical reads

- Instance Throughput:
o Logons and transactions per second
o Physical reads and redo size

Hope this helps!
kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Allanm
Super Advisor

Oracle 9i.