108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle database installation hangs at 78%

SOLVED
Go to solution
Milton Lin_3

Darren,
Check for OraIn* directories under the /tmp directory. The install or de-install of Oracle software has hanged before in the past with me and removing these temporary directories and re-doing it worked.
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor
Solution

take a look in the $ORACLE_BASE/admin//bdump directory - the alert.log may show issues with the database creation.
Worse case you can cancel the installation and use DBCA to create the database - or create your instance manually.

Patti
darren_lee
Frequent Advisor

Hi

1. There are no other screens waiting for input.

2. tried installing without starter database and ran dbca. It hangs at the same place.

3. alert log does show some errors towards the end where it hangs. please see attached for more information.

----errors -----
db_recovery_file_dest_size of 2048 MB is 0.00% used. This is a
user-specified limit on the amount of space that will be used by this
database for recovery-related files, and does not reflect the amount of
space available in the underlying filesystem or ASM diskgroup.
---- end ---------
darren_lee
Frequent Advisor

Just an update

Have managed to create the database.

What was done: created the database with dbca without specifying the flash_recovery_area.

Still looking to find the reason why it won't work using normal installation.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

FWIW,

dbca is a nice tool, but use it generate the scripts to generate the database, don't just let dbca actually run the creation itself. You can optionally save the scripts in files. Then go in and edit them (like add missing components as you saw),to put in missing storage clauses, destination drive areas, etc. Then when you run it you can see very clearly what your scripts are doing and what they are hanging on.

Also, I tend not to let the database creation script "do everything" at once. I tend to let it create a very basic database, and then pull out the tablespace creation, running of libraries, etc. into separate steps. I do this go try and get some control over errors and make the installation at least get to solid stopping points.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
darren_lee
Frequent Advisor

Thank you to all who have taken your time to help.

Have managed to install the database as mentioned earlier. Oracle has also suggested to change the flash_recovery_area location to another location while installation. It works successfully now.