1752440 Members
5674 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle export problems?

Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

Oracle export problems?

Today I received an Oracle Security Alert which lead me to a "known issue" (Note:223399.1) with exp that's been documented since late 2002.(!@#) Somehow, I've never heard of it. Anyway, instead of fixing the problem with a patch, Oracle only suggests a workaround for 8.1.7.4. However, this workaround involves Oracle's shady and incomplete documentation. They say to use the parameter DIRECT=Y, but when studying this in their docs, it says to set the RECORDLENGTH parameter. For that I'm supposed to "check my platform specific documention", which of course does not exist for utilities. They say it should be set at least to the OS BUFSIZ. I am not 100% sure of what they mean by that on HP-UX. So do you guys/gals know what it is I need to do to make exports actually work? (besides starting the search for a new database vendor...) I am using 8.1.7.4 (64 bit) on HP-UX 11i(64 bit), vxd filesystems.
if only we knew...
5 REPLIES 5
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

OK, if you take their requirement literally -
from /usr/include/stdio.h ...

srva:/home/user$ grep BUFSIZE /usr/include/stdio.h
stdio.h:# define BUFSIZ 1024
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

Did you tried with Oracle Data Manager (Oracle Enterprise Manager)? Data Manager defaults Record Lenght to in 8.0.5...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

see metalink Note:134966.1 - How to determine Recordlength Parameter Default Value for Export and Import

regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

The Export parameter BUFFER applies only to conventional path exports. For direct path Export, use the parameter RECORDLENGTH to specify the size of the buffer that Export uses for writing to the export file.
Recordlength is usually only used when moving the file from one operating system to another, or when exporting to tape. If your goal is performance, I would use BUFFER on both the export and import.
For Recordlength it is also recommended to use a value which is a multiple of the db_block_size ( 8k in our database ), this means that the maximum recordlength = 7 * 8192 = 57344 Bytes ( because 8*8192 = 65536 > 65535. The maximum as documented in the Oracle8i utilities manual is 64K and you do not have to specify it on import.

IA
Never give up, Keep Trying
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses. The Oracle Note:134966.1 was most helpful, which is odd, because I did not receive a single reply from the metalink forum when I posed this question! Thanks again.
if only we knew...